No announcement yet.

which marshall to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a all tube Marshall it's what you really want . Save your money and get a 50 watt (plenty loud for any gig). 2 x12 combos will go for a little more then a head alone are the best buy.

Comment

Don't fret over the MG haters. I have a 30 watt one, and it's just fine for home practice. In fact, I tend to take it to band rehearsals, these days, since we practice at low enough volumes, and it does just fine for me. Of course, it stays at home, during gigs, and I pull out the Laney half stack. I mean, I dig my MG, but let's be honest here!
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

The MG series sounds just fine at non-band volumes.

Comment

I had an 8100 and it served me very well over about 4 years of live gigs. Plenty loud and sounded good. I only sold it after picking up a 5150 head.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

There is a JMP 50 Watt 2x12 master volume on Ebay right now for a bit over $700 all the Amp you'll ever need.

Comment

Originally posted by redluke22
              so i'm a semi new guitarist, and i'm looking to buy a new amp. i know the MG series isn't as good as some of the more expensive models, but i want to get a marshall and i'm on kind of a tight budget.
              Originally posted by jtr View Post
              There is a JMP 50 Watt 2x12 master volume on Ebay right now for a bit over $700 all the Amp you'll ever need.
              A JMP 50 2x12 is more amp than the OP needs, or wants, according to his original post.

I think the general concensus here is this; if you want a marshall go with a used valvestate. They have them at sam ash and guitar center occasionally, and are abundant on ebay. In my experience they're great amps.

With that said, my advice to you is to go with something new and get a VOX AD30VT or AD50VT from GC. They're more versitile (for home use) than a valvestate because of the different models and effects, and you get more for your money. New amps also have a warranty, and most stores (GC and SA incl.) have 30-day no questions asked return policy, so if you hate it you can return it.

-Steve.
              Guitars:
              '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
              '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
              '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

This is my old one. In the side picture, you can still see my initials that I stenciled on. :ROTF:

I worked great when I had it, but that was a couple years ago.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

i ended up ordering the one UFO suggested from ebay, the Valvestate VS65r. thanks everyone!

Comment

Good call, the tone on those is great.
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde06 View Post
                      The last time I plugged into a MG at GC...none of the knobs had any effect, but maybe barely turning the volume up....im glad i didnt buy when I was looking for a new amp 2 years ago
                      I had the same problem with the MG combo and it sounded like there was a wet blanket over the amp. You shouldn't be dead set on one brand of amp until you try them out and find out what sound you like.I played many amps like Randall, Vox, Marshall, Crate, and so on until I decided that the Mesa sound is what I was after. All I am saying is keep an open mind.

Comment

it came in the mail today... sounds awesome... once again thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                          Buy a all tube Marshall it's what you really want . Save your money and get a 50 watt (plenty loud for any gig). 2 x12 combos will go for a little more then a head alone are the best buy.
                          You should be able to find a clean DSL-50 tube head used for around $750

Comment

When I told him about the JMP 2x12 50watt combo I knew that itwas more then he wanted. Why spend all that money on amps he'll outgrow in a short while and just buy a amp that will serve him for his playing life.

Comment

Who says he'll outgrow it in a short while? Maybe he just wants to jam with some buddies, nothing serious? Just because tube amps are the be-all, end-all doesn't mean everybody needs one.
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Well it sounds like you got a good amp for you and that rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X