Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube amp! Under $300! Fender Super Champ XD

Hey guys,
    I've been in the market for an affordable practice amp since I'm loosing my job. I sold off all my Mesa's and had planned on trying to go back to modeling amps.. I bought a Vox Valvetronix and hated it! So I came to the conclusion that I needed to have tubes but couldn't afford the expense of having a tube amp, pedals, etc. I was considering a Line 6 Spyder Valve but those were still pricey. Then a buddy of mine told me about the Fender Super Champ XD which uses modeling in the preamp section but uses one 12ax7 preamp tube to get the tones. Then it has a fully tube power amp section which sports two 6V6's! It has built in DSP effects , which sound really good and one 10' speaker although you can unplug it and plug it up to a bigger cab. It's also dual channel. Channel one is a dedicated Blackface model. Channel two has 16 voices including one for your acoustic electric guitar or in my case the piezo in my Petrucci model Musicman guitar. The tones on this thing are unbelievable! I was blown away! It does everything from country spank to high gain melt your face metal and everything in between. All I can say about this amp is that it "inspires" me to play and that's what it's all about. Best of all , it's under $300! I don't know how it'll hold up in a full band situation but it's got a line out that doesn't mute your internal speaker if you need to run to something with more juice. Needless to say I walked out of the store with it and have played until my fingers hurt!

Cool. Sounds great. Sorry to hear about your job status. A new opportunity awaits!

I'll have to check one of those out
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Do they make that in just an amp head?

Comment

No, they don't make it in a head format. The Super Champ XD is a 1x10 combo. They also have one that is smaller that is a single channel 1x8 combo with one 12ax7 and one 6V6. It's worth the extra $50 to just get the Super Champ IMO. AWESOME amps!

Comment

I just played my last ,and I mean last since my company is moving to Mexico, company picnic today with this little firecracker! It performed amazingly! The more I play it the more I like it. You guys have to try one of these things out! I'm coaxing better tones overall out of this thing then I did any of my Mesa's at alot lower volume levels! I don't know how Fender did it but whatever they did... they did it right!

Comment

I finally got to try one of these and ended up buying it. It's the best sounding small combo I've found yet for both good cleans and a good gain sound. It was the practice amp I was looking for I guess. It is a little noisy though, or it's just mine since I haven't found another to try and see if it has it also. The store was so noisy I couldn't hear the noise until I got it home.

Comment

Can it do 80's metal?

Jeff
              ---------------------------------------------------------
              Kiesel Aries
              Charvel USA Wild Card #3
              EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
                Can it do 80's metal?

Jeff
                Yup, and then some. One of the things I liked about it was it had good high gain tones in addition to clean tones. I was looking for a small combo practice amp with good clean tones that also had a good high gain tone. I found a lot that had the clean tone, some better then the scxd, but most of the gain tones were more on the blues side then rock, metal, and such. it's 15 watts so you can use it for more then practice. The internal speaker can be unplugged and a 8 ohm or greater cab can be plugged in which also sounds pretty good. I'd say the closest thing to this I found was the line6 spider stuff but I've never really liked the line6 clean tones. I think the scxd sounded better then the spiders overall. The cleans on the scxd to me sound better then my podxt but there are some high gain tones I can get on the xt that I like better then the scxd. The only thing I really wish it had was a line in for my drum machine. I have read but don't know for sure that it's the modeling section from the frontman dsp with a tube power section.

Comment

Congrats! I bought the vibro champ xd some week ago, and so far I love it!

Comment

Cool, I think they are the same preamp with the only difference being channel one on the super champ, speaker size, and power amp size. All the tones I believe are the same, they didn't have that one for me to try. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                      Congrats! I bought the vibro champ xd some week ago, and so far I love it!
                      Does yours have any background noise to it? Mine's a little noisy even with the volume all the way down and on all the voicings.

Comment

I was in the store today complaining about the background noise and they said it's a common problem in these two amps and offered to swap it for me. They swapped it for one they just got in and sure enough it's significantly quieter.

Comment

Nope, mine is very quite. I use it at home at very low volume but some week ago I played it at my friends house with drum and bass. Volume was ranked and I was barely above the drums, but hey, with that tiny speaker? I wonder how it sounds plugged in a bigger cab.

Comment

I tried it through my carvin cabs loaded with br12s and it was a lot darker sounding. It was pretty cool, I'd like to try it through some other cabs but don't have access to any

Comment

How would those that tried / own this, compare it to a Roland Cube amp 15/20/30/60? I'm not crazy about the fx on the Cube 60 but the models are very good. I just wish there was a way to switch between models.

Comment

Working...
                              X