Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give me advice on power amp

hi,
    i`m going to buy a power amp around the end of the month.
    i`ll use it with my rocktron voodu preamp.

i have to choose between a peavey classic, a mesa 50/50 or a marshall el34 or el84.

what are the good and bad characterstics of them?
    any advice?

price is not an issue.

thanks

If price is not an issue why are you limiting yourself to those three? Also, what kind of music/sounds are you looking for?

Comment

well,
      i don`t really myself to those 3 but they are the "mainstream" when it comes to amps.
      i don`t mean the best brands, but the most common.
      the sound i`m looking for is very articulate.
      think of 90`s megadeth but a bit warmer.
      i get a very good tone from my valve preamp, but i need a power amp to give it more warmth and to rehearse with my band, as i`m using the rocktron voodu straight to the mixer ( with no power amp, i know, this is a sin ... )

i heard about vht, but they seem very very expensive...

Comment

Are VHT any more expensive than Mesa?

The Randall poweramp is supposed to be cool. I forget what the model number is - maybe RT2:50 ?

Comment

I've used a couple of Peavey Classic power amps and several of the Mesa's. I have nothing but good words for the Mesa stuff. The Peavy Classic 50/50 and I believe it was a 60/60, and those amps seemed to changed the tone a bit. The Mesa 2:50, 2:90 and 2:100 Rectifier stereo were all super amps. The Mesa's all worked well with several preamps (triaxis, Pod Pro, etc).

Comment

Bad thing is the weight. Good thing is the tone. I like the 50/50 personally.

Comment

I have a 50/50 and love it. I use it with a JMP-1 and used an MP-1 with
              www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I know that the Randall RM??? modular power amp has different tube types on each channel, as does the Carvin TS100. If I was buying new, I probably would consider either of those for the versatility. I have an old Carvin T100, Peavey Classic 50/50 and Classic 60, and have been happy with all of them. The Carvin is the most transparent, the 50/50 is tonally the most flexible due to presence and resonance controls, and the 60 is very basic with the most obvious tonal coloration of the three.

I've heard of heat issues with the Marshalls, and nothing but praise for the Mesa power amps.
                sigpic

Comment

Either a VHT 2/90/2 Stereo power amp...or a Mesa Boogie 2/90/2 or 50/50. Not much better out there...the VHT is (imo) amazing at around
                  $1200.00 in a rack mount

Comment

if on a budget, what's the take on a Rocktron velocity 100 power amp? Costing only $270 seems pretty good.
                    Sam

Comment

BTW do you guys have any links to the peavey classic power amps or more info at least? All of the searches are showing up only the peavey classic 30 and 50 combos.

EDIT: never mind. found some pics on dallas craigslist.
                      Last edited by emperor_black; 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM.
                      Sam

Comment

If cost is not an issue go with the Mesa or a VHT. I run a Mesa 2/90 and love it. I've also tried the Mesa 50/50, VHT 2/90/2 and the 2/50/2 and they sound great as well. Actually I think the VHTs have a more aggressive sound than the Mesas.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Either a VHT 2/90/2 Stereo power amp...or a Mesa Boogie 2/90/2 or 50/50. Not much better out there...the VHT is (imo) amazing at around
                          $1200.00 in a rack mount

I second the 2/90/2 VHT. I have it as well and it does a lot of different styles very well. I think I grabbed mine for $800 on Fleabay.

Comment

Working...
                          X