VHT gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT gurus?

Anybody own/played a VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL? Or any VHT amps for that matter? Any input on any models would be appreciated, but I'm looking at the 50 watter specifically, unless it can't pull off the metal tones of the Ultra Lead and CLX...? I'm a newb to these really, I need info! I guess my biggest question is how are all of their amps different tonewise? The website and descriptions make it sort of seem like they are all going for the same sound, just a few different features, power ratings and tubes...?
    Last edited by DumpyWumpy; 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM.

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
    Anybody own/played a VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL? Or any VHT amps for that matter? Any input on any models would be appreciated, but I'm looking at the 50 watter specifically, unless it can't pull off the metal tones of the Ultra Lead and CLX...? I'm a newb to these really, I need info! I guess my biggest question is how are all of their amps different tonewise? The website and descriptions make it sort of seem like they are all going for the same sound, just a few different features, power ratings and tubes...?
    The VHT are tight...focused...and have tons of headroom, if im using
    the right term? That spatial huge clarity, that tells you, (I better play
    this clean...cause its going to amplify EVERYTHING! ) I tried out a 100
    watt Pitbull head, but thru a Marshall 1960 cab, and it was a brutal monster! I would assume it would do a pretty decent clean also.
    IMO VHT offers world class workmanship for way less than Boutique
    pricing. I paid $1000 for this 2/90/2 stereo amp, and its probably the
    LAST amp ill ever buy. Other than a full blown Bogner...it does everything else great.

Comment

Cool man thanks... Yeah after doing some research, I think I might snag an Ultra Lead in the next few weeks! Most expensive amp I'll probably ever buy but it sounds like it'll also be the last amp I'll ever buy...

Comment

One of my primary amps is the 50CL, for the last couple of years.

You don't have a clean channel there, just two slightly differently voiced high-gain channels which works for me even better as I seldom play clean. When I do I turn off the gain and roll back the guitar volume, it passes by as an OK clean with an edge.

The amp rocks. Tight, clean, focused. Cuts great, rich and intense harmonic structure, records very well. It is certainly one of the better amps out there.

Takes pedals well. I am personally sometimes using Maxon OD820 with it. But mostly direct. The only thing I don't quite like is how it takes the EMG afterburner and 18V circuit with EMG pickups on one of my guitars: it seems to overload the preamp and it looses dynamics, becomes too compressed with somewhat floating characteristics. Interesting that other amps I tried with it (Soldano, Marshall TSL, Mark IV) don't have the same issue. But it is only one guitar, and it is 18V EMGs. Other passive pickups and 9V EMGs are fine.

Comment

The comments here are pretty much dead-on regarding VHT. I have been using a 100CLX for many years, and it never disappoints. Good clean tones, tons of useable gain that retains clarity, transparent sound, great EQ controls and records great. A bit of a different animal, as it is not the most forgiving amp, but if you work with it and play with precision the results are great.

The CL series are good amps, but I think you are wise by going for a UL or CLX. These are their flagship products and I don't think anything will outperform them.
          GM,
          www.aftershok.com

Comment

50 CL owner here...great amp. I love the clarity of it...its very unforgiving if you have sloppy technique. Because of that people either love them or hate them. I love mine
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
              Cool man thanks... Yeah after doing some research, I think I might snag an Ultra Lead in the next few weeks! Most expensive amp I'll probably ever buy but it sounds like it'll also be the last amp I'll ever buy...
              Just a tip, if you're going to get a new one anyway... buy it TODAY thru music 123... they have in stock VHT's for 20% off until today (Thurs) if you call 1-888-590-9700 and mention SALE 123... so get your credit card ready to cry mercy because that $400-$640 off a head! Other brands are on sale too like ENGL and Hughes & Kettner:

The 50 CL you mentioned and U-L are both in stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Super tight, not saturated. If you play sloppy, this amp will magnify your sloppiness.

Very loud. Ungodly loud.

Super duper clear. Lets you really hear the differences in all your guitars.

I've emailed Steve Fryette (VHT founder) many times and he was very responsive. He explained all the differences in all the VHT models to me. Starting from the bottom of the line, the gain is low. As you get more knobs and higher price, gain goes up.

Pretty much everything else here is spot on. They're not for everybody because they have such a unique character to them.

Comment

Working...
                X