On PCB-mounted tube sockets and Carvin amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On PCB-mounted tube sockets and Carvin amps

A bandmate picked up a used Carvin MTS head last week.
    He brought it down to the rehearsal space, and we opened up to a decent volume. Its sound far exceeded my expectations. It sounded good enough that it makes me wonder what a V3 would sound like, and that’s pretty well-regarded on this forum.

I was hesitant about the V3 because I heard the tube sockets are mounted to the circuit board. I’m wondering if I’m letting my obsession for a super-solid build overshadow the other potential attributes of this head. I know mounting the tubes this way can potentially cause problems, but how big a deal do you think it really is?

It depends on care of that piece of equipment. PC board mounted sockets might not be able to take the abuse of aggressive road swapping tubes a lot. But are you going on the road with this amp? I've never had a problem with any PC board socket amps (peavey and crate). I do believe chassis mounted ceramic tube sockets are a better idea and will last longer in the long run. But have I ever had a PC board socket fail? Just one and it was and older amp that was probably not well cared for according to its looks.
    YMMV

Comment

it really depends on how it's done (thickness of the PCB, etc)

VHT uses board mounted tube sockets as well, and their amps are rock solid.

Comment

Carvin makes some great sounding amps but I have had two different amp techs tell me that they are some of the worst built amps that they've ever seen...worsr than Crate and Peavey in their opinions (they didn't have much nice to say about the build quality from those companies either).

This was before the V3 came out so I can't comment on that one, but they specifically talked about the Legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
          Carvin makes some great sounding amps but I have had two different amp techs tell me that they are some of the worst built amps that they've ever seen...worsr than Crate and Peavey in their opinions (they didn't have much nice to say about the build quality from those companies either).

This was before the V3 came out so I can't comment on that one, but they specifically talked about the Legacy.
          Thats the opposite of what ive heard. Peavey stuff may not sound the best but its built like a tank. I have talked to techs here who say MESA stuff isnt durable and has too many tech upgrades to even list but others say MESA stuff is great. I wouldnt take the word of a couple of techs. Steve Vai seems to do ok with his Legacys.

Dude try the v3 if you dont like it sell it. Its not like its a $2500 boutique rig.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
            Thats the opposite of what ive heard. Peavey stuff may not sound the best but its built like a tank. I have talked to techs here who say MESA stuff isnt durable and has too many tech upgrades to even list but others say MESA stuff is great. I wouldnt take the word of a couple of techs. Steve Vai seems to do ok with his Legacys.

Dude try the v3 if you dont like it sell it. Its not like its a $2500 boutique rig.
            It's funny, I hear so many conradictory reports of amps' innards, just like you. And you're right, for the money, its hard not to take it for a spin. Of course, a Mesa Solo 50 is close to the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post

I have been inside many Carvin amps and gear. I have owned a ton of Carvin gear. Its all made extremely well and is totally road worthy.
              The MTS is a very solid great sounding amp. The V3 blows it away.
              My bandmate has a V3. It kills. I still want to get my hands on a Legacy. Its one of the few Carvin amps I have never owned. I had a few X amps too. The X60 and a few of the X100B's. They are built as well as Mesa. Actually.. they are built alot like the Mesa Mark series. I also had a few Quad X's and they were very serious 4 channel preamps.

Comment

Working...
              X