Isolation Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation Transformer

So, I got a hold of a 1101 to use along with my Uberschall. It is a very nice unit but, I was having a problem where whenever I decided to use an external preamp, it would have this hi-pitched buzz when I had the USB cable attached to it. It was so bad that it made it completely useless IMO. So, after a few round of technical support, I was told the following....

With some amplifiers it is possible a ground loop may occur. Disconnecting the USB cable may resolve the ground loop. The next option requires an isolation transformer be placed between the send of the GSP1101 and the input of your amp.
    Basically in a nutshell, the way this thing is hooked up is to allows you to use the 1101 as the preamp and effects, use the uberschall as the preamp and the 1101 as the effects, or bypass the 1101 all together. It allows pre and post effects in your signal chain. Pretty nice actually.

So, the question is, what the hell is a Isolation Transformer and how do I get a hold of one that isnt as expensive as the 1101? Will it effect my tone? Is there any alternative?
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Check out the Radial (tone-bone) website they have 2 models with ISO transformers and ground lifts. I use the cheaper one and it works great!

Comment

An isolation transformer is just that, a transformer that isolates your equipment from the mains, and will allow you to lift the earth safely.

Try Canford Audio, RS Electronics, or any electronics-type supplier. If you know a friendly geeky boffin-type, he should be able to make you one for next to nothing, they are not expensive.

I have to say I haven't got the faintest idea what an 1101 is, but the best way to keep things quiet is to connect your kit to a common known clean earth point, use balanced cable, and only lift earths with an Iso box, NOT lifting earths on power leads.

Looking at what you have been advised, it seems they are telling you to put something into the signal path, rather than the mains side, so try a D.I. Box with an earth lift on it, shouldn't be at all expensive.

The thing is that you seem to have a problem with HF noise and this generally comes from electronically balanced equipment not the mains. Make sure your audio and power cables are kept away from digital signal cables, pc etc.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
      X