Can a 2203 be made to be louder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 2203 be made to be louder?

This may sound like a wierd request, but I am guessing that Pete or John G or some of you other gurus would have the answer.

I have a 2203 clone that is running Mullard reissue EL34's. It is biased around 37 I think. Don't get me wrong, the amp is loud. But it runs out of gas after the master is past 4 1/2 or 5.

Is there a tube swap and rebias that would give more volume as the knob gets turned up?
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Easiest way to get more volume would be more efficient speakers. Use some EVMs or such! Another option would be to swap the transformers and run a set of KT88s in there... the way the amp responds as far as 'running out of gas' is just the way it is designed. My trainwreck liverpool clone does the same thing, but it happens around 3!

Pete

Comment

Thank you, Pete. I remember you saying that Marshalls are like this. I just didn't know if there was an easy trick to changing it. Like I said, it is loud. But I am not deaf yet, so it must not be loud enough.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I agree with Pete. Speaker selection and impedance will do it.
        EV's would do it. I have a set of Altec Lansing 300w whiteframes which are incredibly efficient. They are so much louder than a V30 its hard to mix them. When I used them with a Vetta I would have to turn that side of the power section down to match the Celestion side.
        If you are interested in them let me know. They are currently in a killer Randall 2 x 12 open back slant cab. It looks like a mini Marshall 1960a. They are 6 ohm speakers so technically.. the cabinet is a mono 8 ohm.
        If you want a volume boost.. there you go. The cab is in Ringwood NJ at my band rehearsal location and I am there on Sunday's.

Comment

I think a change 6550's will do the trick. I've found on hte 2203's I had the ones with 6550's had a hair more headroom than the EL34 brethens.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Changing to 6500s is same as KT88s: you might get a small headroom increase, but not a whole lot of volume as you'd have to be running the 6550s or KT88s at a lot more voltage than the typical EL34s, which is probably around 500v. Plus you still have the limitations of the output transformer also.

Pete

Comment

I probably will not mess with the amp and tubes and such. Sounds like a lot of work for a minimal gain. I will have to save up for some decent speakers for my 4x12.

Thank you, guys, for all your responses. You've been a big help.
              Scott

Comment

if a 2203 isn't loud enough for you, I salute you!

Comment

Originally posted by yabba View Post
                  if a 2203 isn't loud enough for you, I salute you!
                  No kidding! Are you playing arenas? My old 2203 made me enemies with most every club soundman that I ever worked with

Comment

Its a clone so maybe it has something wired wrong? a JCM800 2203 will melt the paint of the walls with the master at 4-5.

Speaking of 2203's, I fired up my 83 2203 last night for the first time in months...no pedals or anything. I almost forgot how badass that amp is, felt like I was back with a long lost friend I havent seen in years
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Same here Shawn. I had one back in the day and sold it; hated myself ever since. I got lucky to find one very similar to my old rodded '800 and scarfed it. Long story short after bringing it home and letting it sit for 3 months I pluggeed it in and WOW!! Nothing but a cable and that's all she needs! How could I have lost my appreciation for that?
                      There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

What speakers do you have in your cab? The JCM900 4x12 I'm using with the Splawn Quickrod has Celestion G12T-75 speakers - it is thunderin' baby!
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                        X