Voltage Regulators...Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage Regulators...Again

So I've been considering the Furman 1215 II but then read some posts that said Furman also recommends using this in conjunction with something like the Power Factor Pro R. I have also seen on E-Bay the Furman 1220-j which according to Furman's website is a discontinued product. I still read the product spec sheet on this unit but I can not tell whether it is enough by itself or if it still needs a Power Factor Pro with it. As far as I can tell its simply a higher amp rating? I'm trying to find a quality unit with voltage regulation in it not simply a rack mounted power strip like the PL series. At our last gig my Uberschall was rendered un-useable due to crappy electric at the club. It also made my pedals noisy so I couldn't use them either! Now that I'm trying an Axe-Fx, possibly in conjunction with my Uber, I need a good voltage regulating power supply that can also help with noise. What recommendations does anyone in the know here have for me? Is the 1220-j something I should get or can I accomplish the same thing with an AR 1215-II? Do I also need a Power Factor Pro? Thanks in advance.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

You don't need the extra unit. The 1215 will work by itself. 15 amps is I think the rating. My TriAxis/Xpression/2:90 rig has never registered over 3 amps usage during live use. So unless you are running more than THREE tube power amps at the same time from 1 regulator/conditioner, you'll be fine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Is the Power Factor Pro also needed along with the 1215? If so, what does add that the 1215 alone doesn't do?
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Well, I just used BIN on E-Ebay to buy a brand new AR1215 Series II for a good price. Now, should I still be considering a Furman Power Factor Pro R as in addition to this?
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Depends. As mentioned, it may not be necessary. I would wait until you knowfor sure. Install the AR15 II and go back to the place the Ubershall faded. Try it again w/the Volt Reg. It should take care of the voltage sags that caused your amp's gain to croak. Whenever I ran into the same problem I'd just try to plug in to another outlet if I could. Sometimes you plug in to an outlet shared w/the bar or kitchen appliences, etc., on the same circuit. They cut on or stay on while you're playing and your gain is going to suffer badly. A volt reg will probably solve the issue.

If you're still experiencing a lot of line noise after installing the Volt Reg then look into a better power conditioner/clean power unit, etc. to add.

I live under the absolute worst conditions for these problems when I run my gear at home or at an outdoor venue. At home I have two HUGE radio towers just away from my back yard. Retubed the amp and killed radio reception through it... one prob solved. Had horrible line noise so I added a Monster Power Clean power 2u to the rack. Killed all audible line noise. Power in the house is actually on the high side but does sag from time to time. Outdoors on a generator or long power cords it's gonna sag w/o a volt reg. I like the AR15 II. Works like a champ.... voltage clamped. I believe the AR15 II also does some noise filtering as well but I could be wrong.

I use both. But you may not need to.
          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I did actually try other outlets, among other things, back when the problem happened but it did not help. Back in the summer when it happened I attributed it to their A/C kicking on but in December it still did it. Anyway, I got an AR1215 not AR15II, sorry for the confusion, and I just recieved the Pro Factor R to add to it. Hopefully this should solve it but I won't know for sure till we play there again and right now we have nothing booked there. On the plus side, the AR1215 vpltage indicator shows a constant 120V at pratice so this is good
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

AR1215 should be plenty good enough. I chose the AR15 II mainly because I got a pretty good price on it. Probably overkill, which I tend to opt for. Anyhooo, I'm pretty sure your new additions are going to help a lot.
              In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
              X