A good sounding starter amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good sounding starter amp?

I'm looking to pick one up for my kids and wondering which one everyone recommends. I'm looking for something they can tote around also.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

For a starter amp thats easy to carry and relatively inexpensive the Line 6 Spider is not bad at all. The one with the 1x12 speaker has worked out well for a few friends. I even have an older one at home myself for noodling around and figuring out songs.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I would go with a 5150III
      Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

I had a 30 watt Fender Champion for a while, and it sounded damn fine! I wish I could get the same tone I had with that from my Carvin!
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

I got a small Line 6 spider for the living room..... Works out great and sounds pretty good too.....and 99 bucks at GC
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Roland Micro Cube
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
              Roland Micro Cube
              +1

Comment

Line 6 Spider III 15 to 30 Watt (go 30 Watt if you can) the New Vox Valvetronix L's are great too because they are high gain amps, they are tryijng to take some of the Line 6 customers with them.
                Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Roland Micro Cube
                  +2

I picked one up at GC for $99.00 before Xmas for my daughter to use with her mini strat Santa brought. It sounds really good for it's size and runs on 6 aa battery's or the included ac adapter. The really nice part is that with battery power it can be moved around without having to keep unplugging it. I did try a 15w spider3 and found the sounds from the cube to be much better IMO.

Comment

Do you want it to have built in effects? How about channel switching by footswitch... Effects loop? line outs or external speaker outputs... Those are the features I would look for. You could go with a one channel amp and throw a bunch of peedals in front but that will be more to carry around too. Go play around with a few and have some fun...

Bang for the buck I think the Spider III is the best on mentioned so far but i am not sure if that one is footswitchable? Anybody know?
                    Last edited by Firebird V; 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Roland Micro Cube
                      best choice period. good call
                      Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                      Amp... Pioneer
                      Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

A lot if people who are starting out are fascinated with the Line6 Spiders. Before you pick up one, check out the Roland Cube 30x. Ask somebody to play, stand back and give it a listen.

Comment

I played a Spider II 212 for a year and a half...I wish there had been a Roland equivalent.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Vox Valvetronix or Line6 Spider.
                            Scott

Comment

You can get a Line 6 Spider II ..30w 1-12" celestion or 75w 2-12 celestion..CHEAP!!!

I bought one for my lkid a couple years ago..and he and I play it every night since without issue..very versatile and inspiring tones that we enjoy and make us WANT to practice.

You prolly could score a mint used one for approx 100 bucks.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X