Looking for hotter OD than a Tube Screamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for hotter OD than a Tube Screamer

I've decided to look for something slightly hotter than my Tube Screamer. I've watched countless videos and played too many demo clips on MF and tried multiple pedals in stores. There just so many choices it can be a bit overwhelming.

I basically want something that's slightly fatter and more crunchy than my TS but without getting too distorted. I love Andy Timmon's tone and I like the idea of adding the BB preamp pedal to the chain but I don't think that will accomplish what I'm looking for(?) I intend to run this in front of the clean channel of my JSX to dirty up the sound, but without getting into the crunch or ultra channels.

I'm just looking for other suggestions! Thanks.
    E = Fb

You might want to check out a Fulltone OCD. Depending on where you dial it in, you can beef up a clean channel or even run it on the distortion channel to saturate it more. It can be a bit bright but you should be able to dial it and the amp in relatively easily. It has a switch for LP or HP settings and is pretty easy to figure out without any manuals. Its also a true bypass pedal so when its off, its not screwing up your straight sound. About $165.00 new and less used on E-Bay. Its the size of an MXR Distortion +.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

If you just want slightly fatter and crunchier, look for a Turbo Tube Screamer. Might do the trick!

Pete

Comment

I vote OCD as well, very fat smooth tone.I use one on the clean channel of my 100 watt Carvin head and it really is sweet.
        Dialing it in is simple Vol, tone and drive. Hp setting gives more distortion.
        I love mine.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Try out an MXR ZW-44 - it's a little "fatter" than a TS, based on a boss SD-1. Pretty cheap too. Turbo TS sounds like a good idea as well.
          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

TTS does sound good too.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You could also try an Ibanez metal screamer. To my ears they have a creamier and fatter tone than a TS. They show up on ebay every now and then, but the prices vary pretty wildly. I got mine for $20 but I've seen them go for over $100. Just another option.

-Steve
              Guitars:
              '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
              '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
              '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

How about Maxon?

Alot of players seem to do well with 'em.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

tonebone? eric johnson uses one i think
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

man, thanks guys! This gives me an entirely new checklist to try to out.
                    E = Fb

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      I vote OCD as well, very fat smooth tone.I use one on the clean channel of my 100 watt Carvin head and it really is sweet.
                      Dialing it in is simple Vol, tone and drive. Hp setting gives more distortion.
                      I love mine.
                      +1 on the OCD. Best build quality out there, and made in
                      the USA. It's great into an old school non-master volume
                      amp, and works great on a modern high gain amp too...

Comment

the boss SD-1, DS-1, or the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide pedal from visualsound.

the SD-1 will get you tuby like lower gain dirty sounds. (works like a tube screamer with a little more gain.)

the DS-1 will give you plain old distortion a la Satriani - its what he uses.

and the jekyl and hide is like a combination overdrive and distortion pedal in one with a blend knob to control the amount of each in the signal.

also the Dunlop GT overdrive is great too.
                        Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 12-28-2007, 09:14 AM.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1.

Comment

Working...
                          X