GT Pro + EVH 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Pro + EVH 5150?

Can somebody please help me get my head around effects/loops/midi/channel switching?

I want to be able to switch from clean with effects to dirty with different effects using one switch…can it be done?

I have an EVH 5150 which I like to push the front end with an SD-1.

In the loop are my time based effects; delay, reverb, chorus etc.

I’m thinking of getting a Boss GT Pro. Will this unit change the channels on the EVH? If it can, how is this possible with a none midi amp? Will it let me put delays through the loop and OD’s/Distortions through the front end at the same time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can accomplish such things using a Ground Control Pro. I use mine to switch a GCX Switcher which in turn has my pedals in a rack tray but it is also capable of simultaneous channel switching even on a non-midi amp. I think you need the GCX Switcher as well to do this because it has 1/4" mono jacks. Both these units are expensive but they do allow you to switch effects and channels simultaneously as well as combinations of rack effects, pedals, etc... These are both made by Voodoo Labs.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

The GT-PRO has two built-in amp control jacks for channel switching. Depending on your amp you may need a special cable.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
        Can somebody please help me get my head around effects/loops/midi/channel switching?

I want to be able to switch from clean with effects to dirty with different effects using one switch…can it be done?

I have an EVH 5150 which I like to push the front end with an SD-1.

In the loop are my time based effects; delay, reverb, chorus etc.

I’m thinking of getting a Boss GT Pro. Will this unit change the channels on the EVH? If it can, how is this possible with a none midi amp? Will it let me put delays through the loop and OD’s/Distortions through the front end at the same time?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        If I understand it right, you are talking about what is called the 4 cable method. its a way of using your preamp of choice (other than the ones on the unit itself) with the gt-8 and still make use of all the stompboxes and effects the gt-8 has to offer. There's a TON of info about this method on the gt-8 forums. www.bossgtcentral.com/forum

If I remember correctly, the 5150 had a pedal with two switches. one was for changing the channels from clean to overdrive and the other for turning the effects on/off. If what I read is correct, the "AMP Control" can be used to change the channels on the 5150 using a regular guitar cable. the manual talks about it some more.

Using the 4 cable method, you can "place" the preamp of the 5150 anywhere in the fx-chain and hence make use of all the effects and stompboxes. For example, you can put it before delay/flanger and other time based effects and before Overdrive/distortion and other gain devices. Its pretty cool.
        Sam

Comment

The footswitch on the EVH lll has a din connect, this is what I can't get my head around, how can I connect the switching to the Boss?

Comment

oh you meant the 5150 III sorry. I was thinking the block head EVH 5150. I cannot help you there with the 5150 III. Robert Burns has both the gt-8 and the evh III. Maybe he can help you.

Sam
            Sam

Comment

The TSL has a din plug for the footswitch as well. Is there a multi effects unit that can channel switch the TSL as well?

Comment

You can setup a Behringer FCB1010 to change from one patch to another, changing channels as you go. I haven't had mine long, but I've set it up to switch channels on my amp, at the same time changing patches on my effects unit. There's a couple of 1/4" jacks on the FCB just for that purpose. I'm sure you could setup a GT Pro the same. Hook a guitar cable between the midi controller & the channel switch jack on your amp, configure the controller and Bob's your uncle!*

* assuming that your amp uses a 1/4" jack for footswitching.

bah, never mind. I just saw you mentioned your footswitch connects by din plug

another thought - since midi controllers hook up via 5 or 7 pin dins, could you use midi-thru to control your amp switching?
                Last edited by VitaminG; 12-29-2007, 06:21 AM.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

there is a pin out somewhere showing a cable converting the din to a 1/4". Check on the Boss GT Users Group. There are plenty of 5150 users there that use the 4 cable method.

Comment

I had a cable made for my TSL 100 head that would allow the TC Gmajor to switch channels with presets. I'd recommend the Gmajor,,,,,it has a BUILT IN RELAY. I currently use the relay to change channels on my SOldano SLO head.....it is an awesome feature of the Gmajor. Turns your standard tube head's preamp into a midi preamp, basically. If you go the the TC website, you can find the schematic for building the cord for the TSL,,,,,maybe it is the same one that would work on the EVHIII? I don't know.

Comment

I built the cable for my Gmajor to work with my TSL with the Behringer FCB1010 . I think I spent $10 for all the pieces. Worked fine, but I ran into a problem in that when I hit the patch to change my channel, I had to do this:

press button 1 for effect.
                      press button 2 to switch channel (which turned off effect)
                      press button 1 to turn back on effect

So, I found it to much to got through this contact back and forth. Maybe I just had things hooked up wrong, in the end, I scraped this. My original goal was to remove the TSL footswitch from my rig.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com
                      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

An adapter to the 7 pin din plug on the EVH makes sense...does anyone know where I can get one? Tried 40 minutes worth of searching, no result yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X