Need Help Identifing Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifing Speakers

OK i purchased and old Marshall JCM800 cab tonight for $160, it is beat up and i got it cheap because it has unknown speakers. Can anyone help me identify these?

Click on the thumbnail, you can also click on full size once you get to my webshots page to make them bigger.

They look like they have been painted

Comment

Well they have been identified as eminence speakers made in 1988. Guys on the Seven string board helped me identify and they backed up with this website.

Then i went to Eminence website and found this.

Eminence Speaker is America's premier manufacturer of guitar speakers, bass speakers, and professional audio loudspeakers since 1966.

I have emailed eminence to see if they could get me anymore information on these speakers. They are kind of crunchy, almost like a greenback.

Comment

Eminence used to do some OK 12" drivers, I think Crate used to put them in their 4x12s. Then they went silly and started doing some really shit things with something like a fridge magnet on the back of them and I havent dared go near one since if anyone asks me for a replacement driver but doesn't want to go for a Celestion.

I remember that I was sitting in reception at Marshall Amplification some years back waiting for someone, when a gentleman strolled in up to the desk. The receptionist dialled through to someone that Mr Whoever from Eminence Loudspeakers was here to see them, and I nearly had a seizure. Whaaaaaat???? Eminence??? I flew out of the building later and was dying to tell someone, anyone that Marshall hadn't simply told them to fuck off, that they only used Celestions and it wasn't up for discussion, but alas, no-one I knew actually gave a shit! I thought I had the Scoop of the Year though, it was important to me, and plenty of other Marshall/Celestion fans, just not to anyone else in the world. Bah!
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I have an Eminence speaker with a sticker similar to that (mine says experimental or something). It's a good sounding speaker.

Comment

Eminence makes some very tasty drivers now and some that suck. Lots to choose from. Probably too many.

Comment

These speakers are from 1988 and do sound great, nice crunch, I think simular to the 30 watt 70th aniversery speakers.

Comment

I had similar well built eminence speakers in my Rivera cabinet. They really were great celestion v-30ish if I remember right.
                Eminence can push some garbage speakers though. I believe that label is the type they use to Id special oem speakers, not mass produced cheapos.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Well I received the following email from eminence.

Hi Todd,

Yes, they are Eminence, custom designed to Marshall's specifications. All I can tell you is that it has a 2.5" voice coil, 8 ohm and a 56oz magnet. I can't identify what soft parts it used because all of them are obsolete and I'm not familiar with them. I can typically find an old build sheet and at least determine what application it was designed for by the soft parts, but, unfortunately, not this one.

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
                  Sr. Lab Technician
                  Eminence Speaker LLC
                  [email protected]
                  502-845-5622 ext. 341

Comment

Looks to me like you did well for 160 bucks. Congrats.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks, yeah not a bad buy. I will have to experiment more, I also need to get new screws and eyes for the back panal.

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      Looks to me like you did well for 160 bucks. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                      X