Peavey 6505 or 6505 plus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505 or 6505 plus?

I've been hearing mixed comments regarding the extra tube that the plus has. Is it for the clean channel to make it more versatile or is it used in the lead channel for better gain? One guy had contacted Peavey and they said that both amps have the same amount of gain and distortion, it's just that the plus has a better clean channel due to the extra tube and also I heard from a personal friend of mine that has both amps saying that the plus has an extra tube in the lead channel for better distortion. Which is it???

The extra tube is for the clean channel.

Comment

I heard that its for the distortion. Lol.
      I played one at Guitar Center...crushing distortion!

Comment

Besides the extra tube I think the difference is that with the 5150II/6505+ the tubes can be biased but there are no adjustable pots to bias the tubes on the 6505/5150 amps.
        I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I liked the 5150 II that i played, worth it for a real clean channel IMO.

Comment

LOL, okay..so I have 1 person saying its for the clean and another person saying its for the distortion..I'm 1 and 1 now.

Comment

its an extra tube added strictly for the Rhythm channel (to give it a better "clean"). the 5150 II does not have the same amount of gain as a 5150, they dialed it back a bit (which also helps give the head a better clean tone, as some of the preamp tubes are shared between the channels). the II still has way more gain than most people really need, but you can turn the gain control up higher...which really doesnt mean anything. i run my 5150 at 4, and i played a II and had it at 6-7 to get the same amount of gain roughly.

you could just email Peavey or call them and ask them, they would have the full scoop. but it is a tube added for the "clean" sounds.
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                its an extra tube added strictly for the Rhythm channel (to give it a better "clean"). the 5150 II does not have the same amount of gain as a 5150, they dialed it back a bit (which also helps give the head a better clean tone, as some of the preamp tubes are shared between the channels). the II still has way more gain than most people really need, but you can turn the gain control up higher...which really doesnt mean anything. i run my 5150 at 4, and i played a II and had it at 6-7 to get the same amount of gain roughly.

you could just email Peavey or call them and ask them, they would have the full scoop. but it is a tube added for the "clean" sounds.
                Thank you very much! The II I had, I had to put it around 7 tops before it gets all fizzy using passive medium/hot pickups. Some player's chastised me saying that its too much, little did they know that its the II that I'm talking about (which I clearly stated), not the regular 5150. Thanks for clarify it!

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                  Thank you very much! The II I had, I had to put it around 7 tops before it gets all fizzy using passive medium/hot pickups. Some player's chastised me saying that its too much, little did they know that its the II that I'm talking about (which I clearly stated), not the regular 5150. Thanks for clarify it!
                  no problem...ive heard some people say that the II doesnt have THAT much less gain than an original, but i used a similar guitar to mine (PRS Custom 22 with Dragon IIs...mine is a CE22 and had a Dragon II in the bridge at the time) and the gain had to be that much higher to make it sound nearly the same. it might have had to do with the higher mid voicing as well...the II isnt as thick sounding and a little extra gain helps. 7 is about the highest i would run one.

now when i play my 5150 i normally have the gain around 3-3.5...i just like the cleaner tone. so id probably run the II around 5. that amp still has way more gain than anyone would need...i honestly think they really over did it with the 5150 LOL
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                    no problem...ive heard some people say that the II doesnt have THAT much less gain than an original, but i used a similar guitar to mine (PRS Custom 22 with Dragon IIs...mine is a CE22 and had a Dragon II in the bridge at the time) and the gain had to be that much higher to make it sound nearly the same. it might have had to do with the higher mid voicing as well...the II isnt as thick sounding and a little extra gain helps. 7 is about the highest i would run one.

now when i play my 5150 i normally have the gain around 3-3.5...i just like the cleaner tone. so id probably run the II around 5. that amp still has way more gain than anyone would need...i honestly think they really over did it with the 5150 LOL
                    LOL, Eddie loves a lot of gain..so he might've went overboard with the amp.

Comment

LOL, Eddie loves a lot of gain..so he might've went overboard with the amp.
                      he also uses more vintage-style pickups, so the output isnt as high as many people use with the 5150's...so a gain setting of 7 on a 5150 for him would be like 4.5 for someone like me with EMGs or a Duncan Distortion. ive tried it before...i just dont like the attack and feel of lower output pickups. i like a certain grind so i gotta go with what my ears tell me
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

He actually uses custom wounded Dimarzio's when he was with Ernie Ball and then later his Peavey's were custom wound very similiar to the Dimarzio's, which were high output pickups..but yes...he does still have and occasionally uses his vintage output PAF's in his older guitars.

Comment

He actually uses custom wounded Dimarzio's when he was with Ernie Ball and then later his Peavey's were custom wound very similiar to the Dimarzio's, which were high output pickups..but yes...he does still have and occasionally uses his vintage output PAF's in his older guitars.
                          really? i have a buddy who has an EVH Music Man and those picks arent really that hot...more of a medium output. its been a while since ive played that guitar though, so i may be wrong! i might need to find someone with a Wolfgang to see.
                          Available Now!
                          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                          X