Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• framus cobra and effects

hey there,

as i already said in another thread, i'm going to add a few effects to my live rig, namely a wah and a delay pedal.
    three questions (kinda noob-ish, but i've been playing dry ever since i started out :-) )
    1) should i place the wahwah between my guitar and the amp, or in the fx loop?
    2) the framus cobra has a parallel line level loop tailored to rack FX. how can i make it work with just a regular delay stompbox, like the boss DD3? basically, i'm just looking for a slight, quick delay with approx. 5 repeats or something, just to fatten up my leads a tad, that's all. maybe i could also run it in front of the amp?
    3) in case the wahwah should be run in the fx loop, would the line level loop give me any trouble with the wah, or is that only a problem with ordinary time/modulation effects?

thanks in advance

im pretty sure you wanna run the Wah in front

Comment

Yeah, wah out front. I used to run stomp boxes in the loop of my Cobra with no problems (send>delay>reverb>return).

Comment

Wah in front as others mentioned above. For the delay you're talking about I'd stick a Guyatone MD-3 stompbox up front as well, right after the Wah and not mess with the loop. The Guyatone is smaller than a Boss pedal so it takes up very little room, its true bypass so when you click it off it doesn;t color your Framus tone, and its relatively cheap at about $100 street price new. Oh yeah, it also does up to 3600 ms of delay if you need it. I have also run this pedal through the serial loop on my Randall RM100 and it seemed to do well there too but now I have it up front with other pedals including the Wah.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

you aught to look to a gt-8 for that cobra.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ok, so the wah goes up front, thanks.
            as for the delay, so you're saying i might be able to also run it up front?
            well, aside from the line level fx loop issue, that would save me a few bucks and time as far as the cables go ;-)
            regarding the gt8...sorry, no way. i'm perfectly fine with just a delay, and the wah

Comment

You can't run time based effects in the front of an overdriven amp. The problem is that when you switch to a clean channel the delay mix and level will be way off. Time based effects go in the loop. The wah goes out in front.

Comment

You are correct in that the delay will be off up front if using it on both the clean and distortion channels. But it can be run up front especially if he is willing to set it at an in between setting so he can use it with both channels.especially since he is going to use it for just a few quick repeats. Sometimes messing with the feedback knob will get you an acceptable solution/compromise. Or, simply set it up for one channel and use it only on that channel. If it is going to be used in the loop so that both channels are useable with it and there is a level mis-match then I suppose the Ebtech box is a good solution.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

sorry, i should have made this point clearer. the delay will ONLY be used for lead sounds, i.e. channel 3 on the cobra. i'm NOT going to use it for rhythms or cleans. most of the important clean passages are played by the other guitar player, who's using a powerball with an rack fx unit anyway.
                  i wonder if there is a difference in sound between using the delay before the amp (as i said, only with one channel) and putting it in the loop?

Comment

the delay in the loop is repeating the overdriven tone from your preamp. In front of the amp, you are overdriving the delayed sound of your guitar. Either can work, but the latter can get mushy with an overdriven signal. If you are using a predominantly clean sound, it shouldn't make much difference. For your purposes, I'd run it in the loop

you mentioned you want to use it for around 5 repeats - are you planning to use it all through the solo, or just for a Gary Moore-ish echo on the high, bent, last note of your solo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo? You might find 1-2 repeats is all you need to fatten up your solo sound nicely
                    Last edited by VitaminG; 01-05-2008, 09:22 AM.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Delay sounds like ass when placed in front of an overdriven amp.

Comment

well....then i guess there'll be no way around the ebtech box mentioned above....which means another 90€. fuck line level

as for the delay, i'm planning to use it all the way through the solo. the 5 repeats thing was just a mere guess :-) i want the leads to sound a bit more fluid, especially when soloing over a rather quiet/clean rhythm section.

Comment

...or maybe there are any alternatives to the ebtech box? something less expensive :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            And a Wah sounds like ass in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              +1

Also, unless you are getting a super expensive analog delay, most of the digital delay out there, sort of thin out your sound. Or at least that's what I've seen happen. They also tend to add some high-end. not only will it sound like ass when placed in the front, it will also sound super thin (with the distortion adding more high-end).

A loop, is the delay's place. And if you still find that your pedal thins out the sound, try using the neck pickup. It will sound fatter, warmer and all the good stuff.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X