ISP Theta Head or Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP Theta Head or Combo?

Anyone had a chance to run a theta head or combo through it paces? I am seriously looking at the new Theta head. I have rack gear already, Mesa Stereo 2/50 Seymour Duncan tube preamp and a Zoom G92tt. I'm looking to add a very good solid state head to the arsenal. The Theta head is just under $1,500 - steep, expensive, especially for a SS unit. A buddy of mine in Maryland used one to gig at a small/medium venue - about 250-300 peeps. He said it took him a little time to dial in on it but it was well worth it. He fell in love w/it, basically. Especially when he got several compliments on his tone after the show (very subjective, i know, but).

So, anyone have pos or neg comments to drop on the Theta? I've only heard clips and some sparce ravings over it.
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Any responses to this should make for an interesting thread. I'm pretty curious about this gear mysef.

Comment

I'm wondering about this head as well. It seems to be like one of those hidden treasures.

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
        I'm wondering about this head as well. It seems to be like one of those hidden treasures.
        Agreed. And the fact that it is SS has most of the tube snobs staying away from a tryout. Just for the record though, I am a minimalist off-again on-again semi-tube snob. I prefer tubes. But some great sounding amps were and still are SS. Not better, Not worse, Just different (animals). Eventually I see it as just another tool in the pouch. Just takes me a while to wise up sometimes

I am considering going one of two, maybe three ways for a while. I would like to add a SS head and keep the MB 2/50 in the rack for now IF the Theta is a keeper. If I can't get a decent gauge on the Theta then I will maybe opt for a Carvin V3 head and pull the Mesa (for a while) and toss a SS power amp in the rack. Also considering adding a Marshall EL84 20/20 to the rack options down the road if I need a lighter load and less watts.

Anyways, I'm kinda GAS'ing for a Theta but don't wanna jump the GAS Gun until I can get some reliable input.
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
        X