Need Help with my P.A. Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with my P.A. Rack

I've decided to purchase a 2 way Crossover so that I can split the frequecies between my Subs and my mains. The only issue is that I'm not sure what the best order for my rack units should be .

Can your guys (or gals) help figure out the best way the chain these units.

Mackie 1402-VLZ Mixer
    DBX 266XL Compressor
    DOD EQ SR431QXLR
    BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
    DBX 234 Crossover
    (2) QSC 1500MXa Power amps
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

mixer-crossover-eq-bbe-comp-amps. Im assuming the eq is stereo 31 band?

Also, how are you running the amps? and with what speakers?
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Yes the eq is a 31 band stereo. I'm running everything in stereo. My main speakers are SP4G along with 18' Subs loaded with B&C 1000 watt speakers.

So I take it the EQ, BBE, and Compessor would go to the Mid/Hi output and the Low would go straight to amp?

Comment

I'm assuming you are running the subs on one amp and the mains off another.
        If that's the case, place the BBE between the crossover and the feed to the mains.
        No need to use it on the subs as it will muddy the tone too much.

Mixer-EQ-comp-crossover-BBE-Main power amp (if you run the BBE before the crossover, you will lose some headroom. Running it after will help fatten back up)
        from the crossover-sub power amp
        Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM.
        -Rick

Comment

Personally I'd keep the EQ at F.O.H, with the rest of your gates/comps etc, put it into the signal chain using the Insert points on the Main L-R outputs.
          I'd ditch the compressor from the main signal path, I'm assuming it's you that uses the rig and that you know what clipping sounds like? If not, and you have some retarded piss-artist in charge of the sound, use it as a hard limiter to protect the kit.
          In normal use though, nothing (to mine, and many other peoples' ears too), but nothing sounds quite as bad as a PA system having the shit compressed out of it. If you need to use a compressor, you haven't got a big enough P.A. system for the room you are using it in. Buy more, or hire in!

Which brings me to the BBE. Nice little toys, perfectly good piece of kit, but I can't see the point of making it an integral part of your drive end.

What I said above about the worst thing being over-compression isn't strictly true, the worst thing is probably overdoing Sonic Maximisers/Aural Exciters etc in the main signal path. They are such subtle tools, you really only need to just use a touch, if absolutely necessary in certain venues.
          People "tire" really quickly of the sound if you over-do it with these bits of kit, and that's not a personal preference thing, it's scientific.(I'll be fucked if I'm going looking for references right now, but trust me, I'm not taking the piss out of you!) Once you start using them all the time, you soon will be pasting loads of it all over the mix as your ears get used to the effect, and listening will be hard work for your audience.

Anyway, why replace dynamics that you have taken out of the signal path with your compressor and try to put it back with a Sonic Maximiser? If you aren't getting it anyway, look at getting some better speaker cabs.
          The less stuff in your signal path, the better.
          So, EQ inserted on Main L-R, out to your crossover, then to your amps, keeping compressor for other stuff (like insert on drum group for example?), and BBE at F.O.H for very judicious use by sober engineer.

(Thinking about it, aren't those old QSC install amps doing about 350watts into 8ohms? That's why you are needing to use compressor etc!)
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Oo-er, double penetration, dunno what happened there!
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Id use the comp for the bass or drums only. The best thing you can do for your PA is to get a RTA and a pink noise source. If you tune a room flat you wont need a sonic maximizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                Personally I'd keep the EQ at F.O.H, with the rest of your gates/comps etc, put it into the signal chain using the Insert points on the Main L-R outputs.
                I'd ditch the compressor from the main signal path, I'm assuming it's you that uses the rig and that you know what clipping sounds like? If not, and you have some retarded piss-artist in charge of the sound, use it as a hard limiter to protect the kit.
                In normal use though, nothing (to mine, and many other peoples' ears too), but nothing sounds quite as bad as a PA system having the shit compressed out of it. If you need to use a compressor, you haven't got a big enough P.A. system for the room you are using it in. Buy more, or hire in!

Which brings me to the BBE. Nice little toys, perfectly good piece of kit, but I can't see the point of making it an integral part of your drive end.

What I said above about the worst thing being over-compression isn't strictly true, the worst thing is probably overdoing Sonic Maximisers/Aural Exciters etc in the main signal path. They are such subtle tools, you really only need to just use a touch, if absolutely necessary in certain venues.
                People "tire" really quickly of the sound if you over-do it with these bits of kit, and that's not a personal preference thing, it's scientific.(I'll be fucked if I'm going looking for references right now, but trust me, I'm not taking the piss out of you!) Once you start using them all the time, you soon will be pasting loads of it all over the mix as your ears get used to the effect, and listening will be hard work for your audience.

Anyway, why replace dynamics that you have taken out of the signal path with your compressor and try to put it back with a Sonic Maximiser? If you aren't getting it anyway, look at getting some better speaker cabs.
                The less stuff in your signal path, the better.
                So, EQ inserted on Main L-R, out to your crossover, then to your amps, keeping compressor for other stuff (like insert on drum group for example?), and BBE at F.O.H for very judicious use by sober engineer.

(Thinking about it, aren't those old QSC install amps doing about 350watts into 8ohms? That's why you are needing to use compressor etc!)
                Great advise A lot of people also put too much crap on their guitar sound , but that's another thread .
                Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

1 MIXER,2 COMP 3 eq 4 CROSSOVER 5 AMP.Then EFX in board seperate comps for drums & bass.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try a few of the configurations and see what works best.

Comment

Working...
                    X