Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube/SS Poweramp debate!

Howdy folks.

I have a DigiTech GSP1101 Preamp and am looking at my poweramp options. So far I'm liking Carvin stuff as it's reasonably priced and at least somewhat made in USA. My top 2 candidates are these:

https://www.carvin20.com/products/si...?product=TS100

https://www.carvin20.com/products/si...roduct=DCM1000

I know most of you guys will say tubes rule, but here are my 2 questions:

Can the TS100 be clean (I mean JC-120 clean) at high volumes?

Also, if the Digitech is already modelling a tube amp, would I be better off just sticking with something more neutral like the solid state PA amp?

I guess I could just order both and return one but that is kind of a hassle.

Can't go wrong with Carvin as an affordable option...and yes, tubes rule!

Check into a nice used Peavey 60/60 or 120/120..should be able to score one cheap...if cost is an issue.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

SS has its own merits, heck I used to record that way. However, every solid state power amp I played (Carvin, TubeWorks, Randall) just seem to lack the oomph to keep up in a band situation. I guess I just love the way a power section starts to break up when you hit it.

As for the Carvin TS100 power amp, I found it colored the tone of my pre-amps when I had one. I switched the tubes and got the same effect. I sold it shortly afterwards. It was brand new, but maybe I had a dud.

Find an old Mesa 50/50. Mesa makes the best poweramps IMO

Comment

I like the Carvin stuff as well, Tube poweramps will allways sound better because of tube saturation and natural distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by ezbprimerib View Post
          As for the Carvin TS100 power amp, I found it colored the tone of my pre-amps when I had one.
          That's weird - I've heard the exact opposite. Supposedly it's relatively neutral sounding more like a hifi stereo amp.

Comment

The old T100 and the new TS100 are excellent tube power amps. They are very transparent. Probably the most transparent I have ever owned.
            A tube power amp for a guitar rig will smoke an SS power amp. SS power amps are good for sound reinforcement and bass, not for guitar.

Comment

I had a DCM150 that kicked ass, sounded great! Then again, it was only for home use and not really loud playing.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                A tube power amp for a guitar rig will smoke an SS power amp. SS power amps are good for sound reinforcement and bass, not for guitar.
                I've always wondered about that - most shows that I've been to I'm hearing 95+% PA sound which is all SS and they sound pretty good. Even stuff like TSO where they don't use a real amp at all.

But the TS100 is shiny chrome so I am leaning toward it anyway

Comment

Ahhhh! The never ending and always popular SS vs Tube thread!! Well, I can't resist.

Most will likely prefer tubes, me included. But SS can be fine, just as effective, and an even BETTER choice in certain circumstances. Depends on the application. Not meaning outside of using either as a guitar rig. I'm sticking to guitar rig only, since I assume that's your intentions.

Tube watts sound louder than equal SS watts. Tube watts sound warmer than SS watts. If you turn up a SS amp near its power output limits it begins to clip, the sound tends to deteriorate, and you risk component failure. If you turn up a tube amp to its upper limits it sounds better and the only thing you have to worry about blowing is your SPEAKERS.

OTOH, SS amps tend to require far less servicing/babying. It can provide more of a warm sound by using a tube preamp/pedal/etc. in front of it. SS can obtain the volumes of a tube amp if you multiply x3 (or so). Basic example 150 SS watts to 50 tube watts. IF you are on a boat large enough to gig on, you do NOT EVER want to use a tube amp. Chances are REALLY HIGH that a SS amp will sound just fine.

They each have a purpose and an advantage along the way. So why not have the best of both worlds? I just had that epiphany AGAIN a few days ago ('bout f'in time). I ordered a Carvin V3 tube head and will be ordering their DCM1000 for the rack in a week or two. Then I can have either or both, I have backup, and I can always go direct w/the Zoom G9.2tt if all else fails.

Pay little attention to me. I'm just pimping for my 100th post. But I did want it to be worthy of the milestone. Not just some two word "i agree" post. Let it not be said I got it cheap and didn't earn it.
                  In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I was running a Boss GT-8 into a crate Powerblock into a 1x12 with celestion v30.
                    When I replaced the Crate with a Carvin TS100...let me tell you...its really a day and night difference. there is the tube-warmth, feel and most of all, the tone that I could never get out of the powerblock.

And it is transparent. reason I'm saying...whatever tone I am hearing through my headphones, I can hear through the cab. Of course, the headphones do not have the low-end thump that I can get from the cab, but you get the picture.

I did crank up the TS100 above 50% and I am running 100w bridged... and the tone just gets better. with solid-state, there is just something missing...
                    Sam

Comment

Considering how reasonable the price is on the TS100, and even better on used T100s when you can find them, it's hard to pass up. I have recorded with my old T100, combined with an ART DST-4 SS preamp. I've used the same pre with a Peavey Classic 60 tube power amp, and the Carvin is much cleaner, albeit lacking some of the midrange punch that the Peaveys are known for. On the other hand, I briefly used an ART Eighty/Eighty rack head that combines the DST-4 pre with SS power section, and even with a lot of EQ tweaking, it sounded thin compared to the T100/DST-4 combination.

The Peavey Classic 50/50 is my favorite tube power amp, but the prices seem to be on the rise as rack gear stages something of a comeback.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                        That's weird - I've heard the exact opposite. Supposedly it's relatively neutral sounding more like a hifi stereo amp.

I must have had a dud. It colored heck out of my ADA MP1 and my Triaxis. It was like it rolled the highs back and those preamps seemed kinda sterile through it. So after trying many different settings on the pre's, I swapped the tubes in the Carvin thinking the stocks were junk, no improvement. Carvin did offer to help but I was already turned off by it then.

Comment

TS100 definitely sounded HiFi to me as well. Very flat response kinda thing... as it woulda made a very good home stereo power amp or to use for monitors. And yeah, the tubes did warm things up but I just didn't care for it as a guitar power amp unless it was going through my Eminence Modeling speaker 2x12 cab. Those speakers are made for hi watts (120 each) and a flat response so digital modeling effects are not so colored. The TS100 fit right in for that. Very clean and quiet. But no love w/other, more commonly used speakers. Maybe it was just one out of the norm that I racked.

Anyhooo, the TS100 is a fine unit at a great price. It just didn't do it for me.
                          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                            I was running a Boss GT-8 into a crate Powerblock into a 1x12 with celestion v30.
                            When I replaced the Crate with a Carvin TS100...let me tell you...its really a day and night difference. there is the tube-warmth, feel and most of all, the tone that I could never get out of the powerblock.

And it is transparent. reason I'm saying...whatever tone I am hearing through my headphones, I can hear through the cab. Of course, the headphones do not have the low-end thump that I can get from the cab, but you get the picture.

I did crank up the TS100 above 50% and I am running 100w bridged... and the tone just gets better. with solid-state, there is just something missing...
                            I was wondering when you were going to jump onboard! Yeah...the
                            warmth...the harmonics...and the...Tube Failure! *I'll get over it..but
                            i still love the VHT, and i notice a huge difference when i went back
                            to the Peavey SS Stereo amp... Generic...compressed sound...no
                            real Ooomph! When you only play through SS you think life is great..
                            But when you go from a tube amp BACK to SS...you will really hear
                            the difference imo. Glad you went "Tube" my brother! Carvin
                            makes great amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                              I was wondering when you were going to jump onboard! Yeah...the
                              warmth...the harmonics...and the...Tube Failure! *I'll get over it..but
                              i still love the VHT, and i notice a huge difference when i went back
                              to the Peavey SS Stereo amp... Generic...compressed sound...no
                              real Ooomph! When you only play through SS you think life is great..
                              But when you go from a tube amp BACK to SS...you will really hear
                              the difference imo. Glad you went "Tube" my brother! Carvin
                              makes great amps.
                              Hell yeah! Since I sold my 5150, I tried so much not to go back to tube, but the difference between SS and tube-amps is so much, that I've started to wonder how I ever lived without it. :ROTF: BTW, hope you have got your VHT problems solved. Yeah, when tube-amps give you problems, they suck, but when they dont, they rock!
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X