4x12 Cabs with Vintage 30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x12 Cabs with Vintage 30s?

Anyone able to chime in with anyone out there making Vintage 30 4x12s? I know the Randall cabs have V30s, there's a Carvin V3 cab with 'em and the Legacy cabs... What else?

marshall 1960av and most of the mesa/boogie speaker cabs...i own/have owned both

edit: some of the orange cabs have them too

Comment

Avatar makes affordable Vintage 30 loaded cabs. The Blue Voodoo cabs (bv412rvb & bv412svb) are Vintage 30 loaded. Mesa. B-52's AT cab is Vin 30 loaded....there are a ton of cabs.

Comment

most butique hi gain amp manufacturers use vin 30's. they are the standard.

marshall uses gt75's standard. and laney uses either the classic lead or the seventy 80's by celestion.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Also Engl,Orange...and others

Comment

Almost every amp manufacturer makes cab loaded with V30. Check also Carvin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              marshall uses gt75's standard.
              Which makes sense, considering the G12T-75 has scooped mids, and Marshalls are more voiced in the mids. The V30s have a bit of a midrange honk to them.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I REALLY want one of those Avatar Contemporary 4x12s but they won't ship to Canada... Pain in the ass. Anyone live near the Ontario border? Haha...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Which makes sense, considering the G12T-75 has scooped mids, and Marshalls are more voiced in the mids. The V30s have a bit of a midrange honk to them.
                  I was just going to post that same shit Joe!!!...

Exactly..The only cab I like V30s are in the oversized Recto Cab. I rely on my amp to dial in the exact amount of mids I want...which depends on volume level.

I heard The Uberkab sounds great from great sources here. I assume I would LOVE that cab as well...even with the X pattern..I'll get one eventually.

I A/B Ampeg when I bought the Lee Jackson Vl-100s around '91/'92. I prefered the 75's over the $100 option V30s in those cabs. It just worked out that way.

John still uses those very cabs..they actually sound a smidge tighter than the newer 1960b cabs when side by side w/ 5150's ..same settings with A/B box.

You may want to investigate those Ampeg cabs loaded with that choice of celestions. I'd assume they're much more affordable than Marshall cabs.

In Flames actually used that very combination very several years ago w/ 5150's, that was cool to see..they sounded damn good too!!!

It was later I discovered I liked the matching Shefield cab over a Celestion cab with the 5150...which are voiced after a 70 or 75 celestion per Matt Bruck..if I recall.

Of course, It's really a matter of tatse. Let your ears decide. I prefer tight, chunky tone with sharp edge than honk..some prefer lots of mids!!!

Good luck
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think what I'm going to do is replace 2 of the speakers in my 5150 cab with Vintage 30s in an X pattern... I'm using a 5150 head with matching cab and it sounds GREAT, but I'm building a studio right now and through all my recording experiences I've noticed that the Sheffields don't sound so hot under a microphone, but when you are listening to the cab itself it sounds great. Based on recommendations from Andy Sneap who is responsible for all my favourite guitar tones I am considering this Vintage 30 swap...

I figure if I throw 2 of them in the 5150 cab, I can mic a Vintage 30 any time I record and still get the sound of the Sheffields mixed with the Vintage 30 sound live. I can't imagine it could possibly sound bad!

Anyone know off hand what the impedence is of the Sheffields in the 5150 cabs? I'm guessing 16ohm...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      I was just going to post that same shit Joe!!!...
                      Great minds think alike!

V30s aren't bad, but they do sound a little nicer when mixed with the GT75s to tame their honk.
                      The 70th anniversary G12-H sounds very nice as well... a cross between a V30 and Greenback.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Mesa with Vintage 30's and I love it. I heard an Orange Cab with Vintage 30's and it sounded really good. If I had to choose one over the other I think I would go with the Orange.
                        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

If you are looking for a used cabinet Sonic made a 4x12 in 80s-90s can be pickup for around $200.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
                            I think what I'm going to do is replace 2 of the speakers in my 5150 cab with Vintage 30s in an X pattern... I'm using a 5150 head with matching cab and it sounds GREAT, but I'm building a studio right now and through all my recording experiences I've noticed that the Sheffields don't sound so hot under a microphone, but when you are listening to the cab itself it sounds great. Based on recommendations from Andy Sneap who is responsible for all my favourite guitar tones I am considering this Vintage 30 swap...

I figure if I throw 2 of them in the 5150 cab, I can mic a Vintage 30 any time I record and still get the sound of the Sheffields mixed with the Vintage 30 sound live. I can't imagine it could possibly sound bad!

Anyone know off hand what the impedence is of the Sheffields in the 5150 cabs? I'm guessing 16ohm...
                            Having never owned any of the 5150 stuff I never knew they had Sheffields in them. I do have a Peavey 4x12 cab I bought about 10 years ago and its loaded with Sheffields. Are these the same Sheffields that are in the 5150 cab or do they make various Sheffields? BTW, I thought my Peavey 4x12 was an ok sounding cab but not with my Dual Rect, that sounded like crap!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

[QUOTE=toejam;1039332]Great minds think alike!

V30s aren't bad, but they do sound a little nicer when mixed with the GT75s to tame their honk.

I have a Mesa Standard 4x12 cab with V30's and I think it sounds great! I'd like to pick up an Uberkab some day, like Bill, which has a mix of the V30's and GT75's. A few weeks ago I bought a locally built brand new no name empty 4x12 cab into which I'm going to put a set of Celestion Greenbacks. I originally bought the Greenbacks about 5 years ago to put into a Peavey cab that has Sheffields. I ended up leaving the Sheffields alone so now is the time to try the brand new British made Greenbacks I've had sitting in their boxes I originally tried a friend's Blue Voodoo cab with Greenbacks and liked it so I hope this sounds as good.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X