No announcement yet.

4x12 Cabs with Vintage 30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hope you all realize that the vintage 30's in Mesa cabs are a different speaker than the standard vin30. mesa has them taylored with more mids and more highs. you can get a similar but not exact replica from www.avatarspeakers.com under the name Vintage 30L.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i used my crate blue voodoo with several heads marshall,crate,peavey, to name a few and it sounded great. when using my many heads with my buddys mesa cab there was alot of variance. dont know it that helps or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
        I think what I'm going to do is replace 2 of the speakers in my 5150 cab with Vintage 30s in an X pattern... I'm using a 5150 head with matching cab and it sounds GREAT, but I'm building a studio right now and through all my recording experiences I've noticed that the Sheffields don't sound so hot under a microphone, but when you are listening to the cab itself it sounds great. Based on recommendations from Andy Sneap who is responsible for all my favourite guitar tones I am considering this Vintage 30 swap...

I figure if I throw 2 of them in the 5150 cab, I can mic a Vintage 30 any time I record and still get the sound of the Sheffields mixed with the Vintage 30 sound live. I can't imagine it could possibly sound bad!

Anyone know off hand what the impedence is of the Sheffields in the 5150 cabs? I'm guessing 16ohm...

Dude try a different MIC or mic pre. If youre not getting the right sound to tape you may just need a better mic and pre. The speaker switch wont hurt your tone but its better to start with the MIC. Also try guitar warehouse clones instead of the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
          Dude try a different MIC or mic pre. If youre not getting the right sound to tape you may just need a better mic and pre. The speaker switch wont hurt your tone but its better to start with the MIC. Also try guitar warehouse clones instead of the real deal.
          I'm using an SM57 and Focusrite pre's, definitely not a mic problem! Haha...thanks for the suggestion though!

Comment

Your a little off there, the mesa V30 speakers were picked to be a little darker, relaxed mids with a deeper bottem end. But these were in the cabs that were marked 280 watts only, now they have switched to regular V30's because that is the way everyone is going in the music scene.

Of course if you talk to mesa, they now just tell you that those cabs were mis labled, but back in the day they told you the truth about them when it was still cool.

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
            i hope you all realize that the vintage 30's in Mesa cabs are a different speaker than the standard vin30. mesa has them taylored with more mids and more highs. you can get a similar but not exact replica from www.avatarspeakers.com under the name Vintage 30L.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
              If you are looking for a used cabinet Sonic made a 4x12 in 80s-90s can be pickup for around $200.
              The only problem with that is that they're loaded with those crappy sounding Celestion 50 watt or 70 watt speakers. Belive me!, like an idiot I bought two Sonic 4x12 cabs brand new sight unseen back in`85 and hated the sound of them after I got them! They had the Celestion 50 watters in them.
              I would look for early to mid`80's 4x12 Randall cabs that are loaded with the original Celestion 65 watt speakers. Just picked up 2 old Randall 4x12's about six months ago loaded with the 65's for $350. for both!! They sound great!! A lot better than I remember the Sonic cabs sounding!
              Last edited by MSGfan; 01-17-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

See Pix

Like this? The couple hundred $$$ upgrade was def worth it.
                Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Sonics from the 80's are loaded with Eminance, at least from what I've seen.
                  Marshall has a handwired 1960 which is a vintage style basketweave thats getting a blowout from some of the mailorder places like MF, maybe AMS too. That has V30's.
                  Friend of mine just ordered two for like 700 each.

Avatar is a nice cab for the price. Really for a newer cab, they are hard to beat.
                  Sometimes they pop up used craigslist, you may be able to find one in your 'hood.

Comment

Rivera cabinets got'em too!
                    I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                    X