Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just pulled the trigger on Weber Mass Lite + KT77

First GAS of 2008 for me.

I was buying new tubes from Eurotubes for my Marshall DSL50 and noticed that they were selling Weber attenuators. I decided to give it a go, considering they are half the price of a THD Hot Plate and can run on various "ohms", so I will be able to use it with my Traynor combo also.

My band does rehearse quite loud and at the last 2 gigs, I was told by the sound guys that I was too loud, so the attenuator should be very handy in the future.

Anyone using a Weber attenuator? How are they?

After some emails with Bob, I also decided to try the full retube kit that includes the KT77 with the regular 12AX7.

Anyone switch from EL34 to KT77?

Comments welcomed.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

No personal experience w/the Weber. But if the common name and apparent rep is worth anything, I'd say it's a good bet you will like it. Being able to run multiple loads is worth exploring for simplicity, space, and monetary value.

Kinda hard to say too specifically about different tubes. There are obviously lots of mechanical and electrical variables. And then there's each of our own very subjective opinions because we don't all hear exactly the same. So I would be more inclined to 'splain to the tube gurus what amp, what cab(s), and what speakers are involved and trust their recommendations. If I'm not sure exactly what to expect, it makes sense to trust their judgment. At least as an experienced, initial point of reference.

My limited but personal experience w/KT77's is they are less "harsh" than EL34's. Maybe even more "growl" than EL34's, depending on the amp. I like EL34's (for a puprose) just as I like 6L6's. Different tools in the tool belt. Though if an amp has the room to install and can push enough juice to use them, KT88's are my favs.

I'm no expert for sure so take my observations and opinions w/a grain of salt.
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I have a Weber attenuator. I have one of those lil ones which dont have the speaker coil as the dummy load.

At the back of the GW magazines, they publish the touring rig of many artists and kirk hammet's rig had a Boogie TR (or DR) plugged into a 100W Weber attenuator. So, they must be good.

Mine, I experienced a lot of tone loss in attenuation mode. But in bypass, it was very transparent. But I was using mine mostly as a dummy load and sending the line-out to a mixer.
      Last edited by emperor_black; 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM.
      Sam

Comment

Got the one with the speaker coil. Here is the model I got:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have a 100 watt mass that I love for taking the volume down just a notch

Comment

Working...
          X