Rackmount vs. traditional head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rackmount vs. traditional head?

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a rack rig vs a "traditional" head and cabinet set-up? I know nothing about this topic, so any info would be very interesting. I always thought guys just used racks for rack-mounted FX units and power conditioners and stuff....I didn't know people were using rack mounted pre and power amps....I want to learn!

I'm understanding that rack-mounted tube power amps are not designed to give output tube saturation, but clean power. So all your distortion will come from the pre-amp you choose. Whether that's a pro or con? Up to you.

I got nothin' else!

Comment

Racks let you mix and match to taste. Atilla is NOT correct about rack tube power amps - they can be maxed for output saturation.

Comment

Depends. I prefer having both. That way I can get head via the rack :ROTF:

A rack can be great for housing a bunch of necessary equipment in one convenient location.... Volt Stabilizer, Power Conditioner, Tuner , Preamp, Effects Unit, Power Amp, Equalizer. Personally, I have limited space in a lot of places to store, organize and/or set up my rig. A rack is great for that. I think racks are sexy looking (guitar racks and girlie racks, though i prefer the bidness end over the headlights on women).

Ask yourself a few ?'s to help decide.

Do you want to go SS or Tube?

Are you playing out/jamming with others/a drummer or are you playing at home alone? I.E., How many watts do you need?

How would you like to lay out your setup for use and for storage?

How technically proficient are you at selecting, installing, and tearing down compatible equipment for either?

Do you like pedals mounted on pedal boards, loose pedals on the floor, or do you prefer to use an "all-in-one" type floor unit? All-In-One could be like a Floor POD, GT-8, Zoom Unit or a Midi unit.

If I could only have one, I'd have to say I prefer the rack. But there would be instances where I wish I had a head. So again, I prefer both.
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Since I've mostly done cover band stuff I've always gone with a Pre & power amp combo. It's getting easier to get tube tones out of SS if you take the time to tweak it properly.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

T@rget, very informative post, thanks.
            I was going to say the same thing about preferring both, but was afraid I would get static for being bi-amp curious.
            :ROTF:
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Yeah, "crossing over" can be a dangerous but rewarding experience. Once you become bi-amp curious it tends to lead to tri-amp territory. :ROTF:

Meaning rack or head + tube/solid state options. All we're missing then is a few items for a luvfest..... a flexible lubricated tube and some small........ ooops! Wrong subject.

Comment

Rackmount amps are usually stereo while heads are usually mono.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                  T@rget, very informative post, thanks.
                  I was going to say the same thing about preferring both, but was afraid I would get static for being bi-amp curious.
                  :ROTF:
                  Yep, +1 and Axewielder is correct. You can get the stereo thing going on very easily by using the seperate power amp. I have 2 Marshall stack cabs going in stereo with my rack setup. Sounds great!

Also, the choice in power amp does affect tone. For example, a EL-34, or 6L6 output (Mesa) KT-88 output tubes (VHT 2/90/2) will have an effect on overall tone. I like have a BBE Sound Maximizer in between my preamp (wether it is solid state or tube) and power amp also.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, the rack path is kinda like ala cart. you can put anything you like in it. the most versatile rig I've ever used is the Mesa Triaxis -> TC Electronic G-major -> Mesa 2:90 power amp. Tube power amps saturate just fine. Try a Mesa Rectifier 2:100 power amp. That modern setting will fry the hair off your face.

I'm back into heads again though. Although I am looking for a road case for my Road King II that has rack space in it also so I can fit my tuner and effects in one case.

Comment

Not too difficult to saturate my Mesa Stereo 2:Fifty either. Though I do need to hit it pretty good up front. Easy enough to do. I have used a lot of different preamps/effects units/etc., for that. One side of the two fifty turned to 2 or 3 o'clock will press your pants legs for ya.

I'm moving the Mesa out though. Bought it new less than a year ago. Adding a head - Carvin V3, and putting a SS power amp in the rack where the Mesa was. So there is less debate, rack or head, for me. I like and too often want the versatility of having both. And I cross into "tri-amp curious" territory by having one of them SS and the other tube. So I can use the SS power amp for purposes other than guitar if I want or need to. And I'll still have a tubie to play through.

I have the Mesa on eBay. It ends tonight. Someone is going to get a nice unit to play with. Meanwhile, there's a big empty space in my rack. It looks hungry.

Comment

Working...
                      X