DSL 100 1/2 Stack in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 100 1/2 Stack in the house

I just pick this up used right here in town. I really didn't need this thing but I like the way they sound. Originally, I was just gonna buy the cabinet and use the speakers in my white cabinet. The cab has some tolex tears and stuff but otherwise in good condition. Head is pretty clean. Kid gave me a pretty decent price on the set up so I figured what the hell.

Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

I hope it sounds better than the one my buddy has. I just installed a Mercury Magnetics output tranny in it for him, and it still sounds like poo. It has no bite to it at all. Come to think of it, maybe I put the pre-amp tubes back in the wrong sockets. :ROTF:
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I play the same rig. They are nasal and nasty and sound good in a mix, but if you are a guitar tone cork-sniffer...well, you might struggle a bit. The rig has a built-in wah effect on the 1st string near the 12th fret ala Kirk Hammett that drives me crazy. The G12T-75 speakers are what they are. Sometimes they seem shrill and hurt my ears. I don't mean to be a buzz kill.

EDIT: I meant to add, vintage guitars like strats and teles and les pauls seem to gel with that amp better than Jacksons with Duncans. Just my 10c.

Comment

I know these amps are hit or miss. We use these at the studio we go to. I like the way they sound. I tried this one out for a while before I bought it. Sounds pretty good to my ears. I am not a tone snob. No cork sniffing for me. I bought it on a beer budget.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Congratz! I got a DSL50

JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
            I know these amps are hit or miss. We use these at the studio we go to. I like the way they sound. I tried this one out for a while before I bought it. Sounds pretty good to my ears. I am not a tone snob. No cork sniffing for me. I bought it on a beer budget.
            Sorry Scott, not trying to kill your buzz. I actually used to be in a band with this guy, and it used to sound pretty decent with his LP and Marshall cab. What I said about the tubes might not be far from the truth actually, because one of them was a low gain tube. I probably put it in the wrong slot. I put it in the socket that has the little metal cover. Is that wrong? Anyway, the tone is very nice, it just didn't have any bite at all. I mean, it would have needed a pedal in front to be even tolerable for playing metal.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Zeegs, no worries at all. If you friend's DSL needs a pedal in fron of the gain channel, something is wrong, very wrong. It should have plenty of gain on tap.
              Scott

Comment

yeah never heard of someone needing a pedal in front of the lead channel of a DSL.

Comment

i've got a DSL100 and i love the way it sounds with a pedal pushing the amber channel with the gain dialed back to like 2 O'clock - 2:30 with the treble and presence all the way down and bass and mids all the way up.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                    i've got a DSL100 and i love the way it sounds with a pedal pushing the amber channel with the gain dialed back to like 2 O'clock - 2:30 with the treble and presence all the way down and bass and mids all the way up.
                    +1 with a tube screamer, gain around 9 o'clock, tone (to taste), level maxed.
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

congrats on the new rig. I've been using a TSL100 for a while now. It works very well for leads in the studio. I had another TSL100 before but it didn't sound right. This last one is a keeper. So much for quality control I guess. :ROTF:

Comment

mine.

Comment

I do love that orange beast! Good looking marshall ya got there.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            mine.
                            The orange version looks awesome. Thanks fellas. I am liking this amp so far. Very different than my 2203 clone. Although, I can set this DSL to get almost the same sound as the 2203. What I really like about this amp is all I need is guitar-cable-amp. Straight in it sounds really nice and tons of gain on tap.
                            Scott

Comment

What are you guys doing for a lead volume boost? EQ with volume boost in the loop? I get a lot of signal loss in my effects loops.

Comment

Working...
                              X