Carvin V3 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin V3 question

yeah I got one today, at the Carvin store in Hollywood. so I'm all psyched. I tried it out with one of their new single cut models, very solid and nice.

anyway, they got me one in a sealed box so off I went at $800 total. it was $900, but they cut another $100 off at the store. but when I got home and opened the pristine box, the back panel has some odditites I have to ask about. several of the switches are recessed into the body behind the face panel. is this normal? like the ohms switch is completely recessed, like I'd have to stick in a pen or something to move the switch. the midi input jacks are about 1/3 inch recessed behind the panel. so this seems odd to me, can any other owners confirm if I got a F'd up one?

and I cannot test it operationally as I don't have a cab to play it out of yet. that's next.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

I guess the guys at the Carvin board say this back panel recessing is normal and a safety precaution against accidental changes to various back panel switches.

makes sense, just looked odd at first.

Comment

Don't know anything about those amps but it seems like a good idea to me to have the ohm's switch recessed. This would protect it from accidently getting switched in transit or from anything else non-intentional and possibaly blowin out your amp!
      As for the midi jacks this may help keep your lines in if you or anybody trips on your cords....not that we ever do that

Comment

Guess I was typing as you were posting. Anyhow looks like you're good to go

Comment

I'm a newbie to tube amps too.

Comment

I have a V3 head coming in on Tuesday. I'll compare mine w/your description and let ya know.
            In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Thats normal. BTW... the V3 RIPS big. Its a great amp. Not just good... its Great.

Comment

well your prior review convinced me to take a look at one, and for the price it was a no brainer.
                it's killing me sitting here on my floor w/ no cab or effects to play it with.
                have to attend to those over the next couple weeks.

Comment

I did a lot of reading, forum surfing, studied the manual, and talked to as many techs as possible who have an opinion on it. After reading JG's review I felt a lot more at ease about buying a head I haven't had access to. So instead of "fretting" about it's abilities to please me, I am now only concerned that it arrives unharmed and functions as intended.

That's what is great about this forum. I can read common reviews elsewhere for days. They mean a lot less to me than the opinions of those who hang around this joint. Helps a lot to speak w/techs too. Two more days. Just two more days......

Comment

Got the amp head today and I did play through it a bit after a thorough inspection. Yes, access to my switches on the rear panel are also recessed. Nothing out of the norm there at all. It is recessed to prevent accidental changes, which could damage the amp. So no worries and Rock On!

Comment

We did a gig on Saturday. My bandmate had his V3 and I had my JCM900 loaded with Mullard EL34's.
                      Our sound was perfection. The V3 is a great amp, especially if you can't decide between a Rectifier and a Marshall. It really sounds like a blend of both with a little Legacy thrown in.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        We did a gig on Saturday. My bandmate had his V3 and I had my JCM900 loaded with Mullard EL34's.
                        Our sound was perfection. The V3 is a great amp, especially if you can't decide between a Rectifier and a Marshall. It really sounds like a blend of both with a little Legacy thrown in.
                        I got a pretty good amount of time to noodle around w/the basic (front panel) settings late this afternoon. And so far, that is a very accurate description JG! Quite Marshallesque, Just short of Recto, a spalsh of Legacy. And that is w/o a single pedal/effect/nothing. I'll check functionality of the loop section tomorrow. Was too busy enjoying it raw to think much about it.

In another thread I said I would hold off from making review type comments on this amp until the honeymoon phase was over... BUT, Damn, it's very hard not to offer praise w/something so satisfying right out of the friggin box!

Comment

Working...
                        X