Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I went and did it (Mesa Road King content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I went and did it (Mesa Road King content)

I sold my trusty Dual Rectifier yesterday. Why did I sell my faithful amp for studio work? The local guitarshop, Blues Airmen in Garden City, has a used Road King (old version 1). I played it for a bit and man, that thing is cool. I don't need all those options for live shows, but I could have used it in the studio a couple of months. I loved it so much I ordered a new Road King II. Can't wait to get it (and spend 10 hours dialing it in :ROTF. It arrives tomorrow. Can't wait!!!!

Congrats! I had a Road King for a while and loved it. I only sold it because of financial reasons, but it held its value for the year and a half that I had it (bought used for $2000+shipping, sold for $2100+shipping, both on the bay).

Post pics when you get it! If it helps at all, I seem to remember my favorite sound being channel 2 with the switch to the hotter mode and 2 EL34s...got a great Comfortably Numb solo tone when splitting the neck bucker on my old Ibanez S470.
    Scott

Comment

Road Kings are unfairly named. They should be called - just Kings. That's exactly what they are. Good buy!
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Yeah, kinda hefty price-wise. But I found it better overall compared to the Framus Cobra and my old Engl's, all of which are too pricey.

And heck, this head is heavy. Reminds me of my old rack setup. The Herniator.

The footswitch is a bit much. Didn't have one there when I was demoing the other unit. Man, this this is just too big.

Some pics:

This is the Version 2 of the Road King II which I'm not sure what has changed. I see the external triggers outs are gone and have been replaced with the tuner out/mute stuff. other than that, I'm not sure what the difference it. The one I demoed was an old RK I. The cleans on this one are far better.

Comment

the rk2 has the lonestar clean circuit and sounds better, the gain also isnt as buzzy and the amps lows are a little more balanced, they are really nice amps.

Comment

Nice. It is a great amp
            CURRENT GEAR SET UP
            2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
            1989 JACKSON KING V
            1984 JACKSON RR
            AXE FX II
            MESA BOOGIE 2:90
            DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
            FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Long live the KING!

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                Nice. It is a great amp
                Hey KINGSFAN, I see you have a RK cab in your sig. How do you like it? I've been contemplating getting one because I like the idea of having an open back side for clean sounds.

Comment

I know it has more bells and whistles but how is the sound different from a Dual Rec?
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                    I know it has more bells and whistles but how is the sound different from a Dual Rec?
                    I'm speaking of the RKII, not the RKI. I found the gain channels to be less fizzy/buzzy on the RKII, much more rounded and usable. The clean channel is fantastic compared to my Dual rectifier. The cleans on my Dual rect were barely usable, but the RKII cleans are very smooth.

I look at it this way, I can get the best one or two Dual Rect sounds I had on my RKII also, and now I can get a lot more usable sounds also.

And for every channel, everything is configurable for each of the 4 channels: modes, effects loops (either of both of them), rectifier modes, output sections (6L6's or EL34's or both) and the coolest of them all: speaker cabs. I can set my clean channels to go to one open cab, and my gain channels to go to my rectifier cab. Awesome!

Comment

Hail to the king baby!

Comment

I liked my Series I when I had it a lot. Just too much money to have sitting and not use at the time. Congrats!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                        X