No announcement yet.

Question for some speaker cab dudes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for some speaker cab dudes...

I'm looking at this Marshall 4x12. It's wired for mono, and I'd have to rewire it to stereo. Any idea on how much hassle it would be to put in new plugs and stuff?

Also, reasonable price? My cab knowledge is fairly limited.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ34730977

I don't rewire cabs myself, but due to the round plug socket/plate, I've seen some VERY poorly rewired Marshall cabs. The black paint job on that cab ruined the resale value among hardcore Marshall collectors I would think, and most Marshall cabs that I've seen aren't built as well as other brands, so I'd only bother with it if you really want the Celestion 80s.
    sigpic

Comment

Thought about converting my Laney AOR cab. I planned to buy a Marshall mono/stereo jackplate assembly, from Ebay, hog out the old location for the new assembly, and re-wire, accordingly. Just haven't had the bucks to do it, but that's how I'd do it.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

I dunno anything about speaker cabs but I did notice your from Nova Scotia
        I am too by the way

Comment

my first thought is that the existing wiring input area is the old round type. I personally don't know of any stereo jacks that will fit that orifice. you'd have to cut it out to fit the replacement in.

and what ohms impedance are you looking for after you're re-wired? I'm pretty sure that the cab has 8ohms speakers wired in series-parallel if it is now 8 ohms mono. if you wire stereo, you'll end up with 4 or 16 ohms per side, stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
            I don't rewire cabs myself, but due to the round plug socket/plate, I've seen some VERY poorly rewired Marshall cabs. The black paint job on that cab ruined the resale value among hardcore Marshall collectors I would think, and most Marshall cabs that I've seen aren't built as well as other brands, so I'd only bother with it if you really want the Celestion 80s.
            And Ryan comes though again! Good points, I have all kinds of those speakers lying around the place, so it's not like I need them to swap or anything. I was thinking of putting afew more bucks down and getting a 2x12 G-Flex anyway, easier to carry and probably will sound better.

Thanks man

Comment

You can use one these input jack plates, but you'll need to make some space for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-GENUIN...QQcmdZViewItem
              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

As long as the sound comes from the same cab, there is NO point of making it stereo now is there? for the "stereo" effect the sound must come from 2 different sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Erez View Post
                  As long as the sound comes from the same cab, there is NO point of making it stereo now is there? for the "stereo" effect the sound must come from 2 different sides.
                  Uh, no? My entire rig is stereo, I need to output to stereo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Erez View Post
                    incorrect. I used to use a Triaxis/G-Major/2:90 setup into 1 stereo cab. live, the sound guy mic'ed a speaker from each side of the cab and panned FOH accordingly. the stereo effect came through great for the audience

Comment

Yup, it not as pronounced as it would be with seperate cabs but it's still stereo.
                      Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
                        You can use one these input jack plates, but you'll need to make some space for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-GENUIN...QQcmdZViewItem

That's exactly what I was talking about.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by ezbprimerib View Post
                          incorrect. I used to use a Triaxis/G-Major/2:90 setup into 1 stereo cab. live, the sound guy mic'ed a speaker from each side of the cab and panned FOH accordingly. the stereo effect came through great for the audience
                          Yup, that's how I used to run my rack when I didn't feel like luggin the second cab.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                          X