I think something may be wrong with 1 of my tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think something may be wrong with 1 of my tubes

I was playing guitar today at a moderate to loud volume, no one else was home so I figured, why not "open" it up so to speak. I was playing takin care of business and I started to notice crackles and figured it was my crappy tape deck that I hook my mp3 player through or speakers but it still happened when I turned it off. I looked at the back of the amp (Roland RG50TC, 2 EL34's, 4 12AX7's) and noticed one of the power tubes was glowing much brighter and had a green dot glowing (I'm not sure if it was part of the tube glowing or just a part or label though...).

So I'm kind of scared about turning it on right now, is it a bad tube? I just got the amp brand new, never played before less than a month ago.

Wow, didnt realize the Mesa boogie manual has so much info. FastJunkie, you've got to thanks nhspike for providing the link...

here is an excerpt from the mesa boogie manual.

DIAGNOSING POWER TUBE FAILURE: There are two main types of tube faults: shorts and noise. Both large and small tubes may fall prey to either of these problems but diagnosis and remedy is usually simple. If a fuse blows, the problem is most likely a shorted power tube and shorts can either be mild or severe. In a mildly shorted tube the electron flow has overcome the control grid and excess current flows to the plate. You will usually hear the amp become distorted and begin to hum slightly. If this occurs, quickly look at the power tubes as you switch the amp to STANDBY and try to identify one as glowing red hot. It is likely that two of a pair will be glowing since the “shorted” tube will pull down the bias for its adjacent mates, but one tube may be glowing hotter — and that one is the culprit. The other two are often fine — unless they’ve been glowing bright red for several minutes.

So, looks like you have found the problem tube before your fuse blows. I could be wrong though. how old do you reckon your power tubes are?
    Sam

Comment

I'm really not sure to be honest maybe a year or so? Like I said I'm the first person to play this amp, it's been sitting in a warehouse and I was looking at buying a tube amp so I saw it and decided to buy it. The tube isn't glow red hot, one is glowing a nice orange and the other is glowing orange with a sort of bright white glow and the amp is cracklin even with nothing in the input. I'll go inspect it again and see what the colour is, actually even better I'll post a picture if that'll help any....

Comment

I'd suggest buying new tubes (you'll need them eventually anyway) and seeing if it helps. Probably not a good idea to use the amp in the meantime though.
        Scott

Comment

Since its been sitting in a warehouse it prolly has a fried mouse in it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
            Since its been sitting in a warehouse it prolly has a fried mouse in it LOL
            :ROTF:
            Well, that's the nature of the beast...those tube-amps! they're like women. We can't live with them, we can't live without them. No offense to any women on the board. I'm sure they are all wonderful.

when I got my ts100 on ebay the guy swore everything was working...he said the tubes were a year old and just a few days before shipping he made sure everything was working. I plug the damn thing in, after 5 mins into playing the speakers go crazy with this bassy sound that's obviously coming out of the ts100. Took out the tubes, re-seated them, inspected for problems...nothing. I am on the call with carvin tech support and the damn problem disappears. its been two weeks...I just played it this afternoon for 1/2 hour and its as good as my baby's behavior when she's sleeping. You never know what the heck's wrong. But yes, if you suspect its a tube-fault, better equip yourself with spares. That's what I need to do.
            Sam

Comment

Meh...
              Even brand new tubes can be suspect.
              Especially if they are stock. Get a new set and see if it helps.
              Keep the other one as a spare, but really they are only good as a matched set.

Comment

Well this raises the question....what do you recommend for tubes? I've seen ruby tubes at our stores

Comment

Can't help you on where to get them, I have a stock of NOS 6L6's and 6V6's, as well as a few others that I keep for myself. I've seen good comments posted about both Ruby, and JJ tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by FastJunkie View Post
                    Well this raises the question....what do you recommend for tubes? I've seen ruby tubes at our stores
                    http://thetubestore.com/
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X