Users of attenuators and amp head: cable length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users of attenuators and amp head: cable length

To those of you using attenuators with their amp, what length of cable are you using?

I recently bought a Weber attenuator and their web site says: short cables work best to prevent signal loss.

So what length are you using with your attenuator (Hot Plate, Power Brake, weber mass...)?

And where do you put your attenuator, on the top of the amp?

Thanks in advance.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I generally put the attenuator on top of the amp, yep. I'm using 2 3' cables (amp - 3' cable - weber mass - 3' cable - cab)

but really, I don't think length is really THAT important with speaker cables, within reason (much more signal loss with long instrument cables)

I've never noticed a difference in tone or any signal loss with speaker cables up to 25' or so. (but I can notice loss of tone with long instrument cables)

Comment

Isn't cable length directly correlated with how much current is beng carried?
      Such as, an instrument cable is carrying much less current, so the loss is
      much more nocticeable, but the speaker cable is carrying a relatively large amount, thus less susceptible to loss.
      I'm not sure why Weber is recommending this, but it makes sense to minimize
      the length to accentuate the tone.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

I own a DSL50 half stack. I plan putting the attenuator on top of the head.

A local sound shop will build me speaker cables tomorrow.

610 mm (24") for the amp to the attenuator

1067 mm (42") from the attenuator to the cab input

What da ya think?
        JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          Thanks for the reply guys.

I own a DSL50 half stack. I plan putting the attenuator on top of the head.

A local sound shop will build me speaker cables tomorrow.

610 mm (24") for the amp to the attenuator

1067 mm (42") from the attenuator to the cab input

What da ya think?
          as long as they're long enough to reach, they should be fine.

Comment

My goal is to be practical as much as I can... No spaghetti factory in the back of the amp...
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Just bought a Power Soak for my Laney, and make my own cables. I made a 2 footer for the head to the Soak, and a 4 footer for the Soak to the cab. The shorter the cable the less mess, on-stage and in my gig-bag, after the show.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I use a 3 foot monster speaker cable from the power brake to the head and 3 foot to the cab no problem at all.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

6' Canare from Lava Cable into the Hot Plate and 6' Canare to the cab- no problems.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone! Racerx2k, it's funny how we have planned our cable length in a similar way.
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

Well, not much planning on my behalf. That just so happened to be the lengths I had. How's that for technical planning?

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Capacitence and signal lost in length comes into play with high end audio cable lengths regarding full range signal and cables that may cost so much that only vanity can justify it and dogs can hear it. You won't hear the loss between 3' or 5' on a Monster cable, but you will hear it on 30' of curly guitar cable like Jimi used.But I do prefer Analysis Plus cables for guitar amd amp. There is a huge difference and worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                        X