Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 re tube help

Hi all.

Decided to do the right thing by my 5150 212 and throw in a set of JJ's.

I ordered the standard re tube kit, 2 JJ 6L6GC's and 5 ECC83S's with one of them balanced for the phase inverter in V5.
    But the only thing I'm a little wary about is the balanced tube for the phase invertor in V5. Where the hell is V5 lol! Would it be the 5th tube over (so the last tube), going from left to right?

I dunno, maybe it'll become crystal clear when I open it up.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But when it comes to amps I am teh n00b.

Thanks in advance.

You mean 4 JJ 6L6's... The phase inverter tube is usually the one closest to the power amp tubes...
    Sam

Comment

Sounds like he has a combo ("5150 212") so it'd be 2 power tubes.

Comment

Yup got the combo. Sorry I should have made it clearer.

Thanks for the help guys. This is going to be my weekend tinker project.

Comment

I also don't know which order the preamp tubes names go in! I just got a set of JJs to put in my 5150 head but am not sure whether to count from the left or the right... Anyone able to help out a total dumbass here? Is V5 the one on the outside or the inside? On the head, the preamp tubes are in a little spot on the bottom right of the head, not mounted vertically in the same area as the power tubes so the "closest to the power tubes" description may not be entirely accurate with this setup, I really don't know though!

Comment

there is no order IMO. Just pull the old one with a rag cloth (to prevent poking your hand in case the glass breaks) and replace. Yes, I do understand its hard to figure out which one is the closest to the poweramp tubes, but you'll just have to take a guess. Or some one can help you out there. one of them has to be out of line with the others. that was actually the answer given by Bob (from eurotubes) regarding my peavey XXX.
            Sam

Comment

On the combo turn it upside down so the tubes are pointing up .
              From Left to right the tubes go- V1,V2, etc. The preamp tube closest to the Power tubes is the Phase inverter.
              Now get a Tung sol Re-issue and put it into the V1 spot. that with the JJ's helps tremendously with the mids on the combo.
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

V1 is the closest to the Input jack, the in order from there....
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                X