Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin brings back the X100B

Wow! http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t...e6c74fafd274f0
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

My first tube amp was a x100b 1/2 stack. Bought it new around 87-88
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

The 2x12 seems very compact. Probably the most compact I've laid my eyes on. The JSX combo is pretty compact too.

So, what's great about this amp? Which other amp(s) does the tone compare to?
      Sam

Comment

Extremely great amp. I had 3 of them throughout the years. I am sure to be getting one of the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
          +1 Same here. I had it up to about 3 years ago. Great amp it was!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

People always bag on the gain channel of those amps. Crank that bad boy loud, and it was sweet. Not br00tal m3t@lz, but killer hard rock.
            "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              The 2x12 seems very compact. Probably the most compact I've laid my eyes on. The JSX combo is pretty compact too.

So, what's great about this amp? Which other amp(s) does the tone compare to?

Steve Vai used it before he got the Legacy signature head.
              I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
                Same here. I still have mine and still love it. The X100B was very popular in the 80's. Hope Carvin does well with the reissues.

Comment

Bought one used in the late 80's. That thing was my first "real" amp. Sounded good to me until I got an ADA MP-1. I ran the MP-1 through it for a while and finally traded it off on a power amp. Overall it was a pretty decent piece.

Comment

Sounded better than the V3 to me... played them side by side at NAMM.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

What's the pricing on the new ones? I wonder what it will do to the used prices

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                        Sounded better than the V3 to me... played them side by side at NAMM.
                        That means its not a reissue of the orignal X100B.
                        The original X100B's needed a pedal to get to high gain territory. The hot rod pull boost feature just added a ton of fuzz and was pretty much not very useable.
                        I was a big fan of the X100B with a nice distortion pedal or tube screamer in front of it. It also had a fantastic clean channel with a ton of headroom.
                        Carvin must have did something extra on the new X100B's.

Comment

+1 on your assessment there, JG. Monster clean channel. OD channel wasn't really out there, but nice and fat, and didn't use a clipping diode like the MTS. I've actually still got one, but a friend has been in possession of it for a few years. His cats have been using the carpet covered cab for a scratching post...

Cool feature was the 100/50/25 percent power switch. It didn't turn off power tubes like most of those things do, instead just attenuating the plate voltage.
                          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I have a 1988 X100B and love the clean channel with a distortion pedal and an MXR 10 band EQ thru the loop. The rythym channel is kinda blah, the boost is worthless. The reverb is very nice. Actually, if the new ones have that killer clean channel with a better rythym channel, they should have a winner if they price it right. The new ones will be smaller unlike my 1988 which is very large, like the old Marshalls. I don`t use the Graphic EQ on my X100B, because it is assignable to the clean channel on the old ones.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                            X