Mesa Boogie's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie's

How many of you are playing Mesa Boogies, particulalry the Single Rectifier? I'm looking at getting one as a alternetive to the Marshall DSL 50.
    Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
    Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
    Fender Telecaster Standard MM
    Jackson Dinky DKMGT
    Jackson Stealth EX
    Charvel 375
    Ibanez Daytripper
    OLP Musicman
    Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
    Sonic 4 x 12

I have a single rectoverb. Covers all the bases for me. Simple and easy to use.

Comment

I have one as well.
      After a bunch of MK series, and an express 5:25, I'm quite happy with it.
      The express had a nicer reverb, but the 10 inch speaker ended up killing it for me.
      The single recto has plenty of sack, and is dead simple just like hgsmith says.
      Only complaint... HEAVY
      But, hey... I can live with it.
      I wish the 5 modes could be controlled via foot switch (two clean, 3 dirty), but alas, you have to preselect which mode in clean, and which in dirty and live with that.
      Boost function is handy... brings you up and over the band as required.
      Coolest feature, that.
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

I'm seriously considering a single Recto, too. I played one at GC, and it was pretty good. I would probably like it even better through my own cab. The other guitarist in my band is using a Marshall JCM600 combo. I can imagine this being a nice melding of tones.

Comment

Single recto owner here. I used with a 1960 cab loaded with Celestion 75 and now with a recto standard with V30. First of all I suggest to run it with its own cab, it really helps alot. That being said I am happy with it's tone. It's very versatile imo, nice clean sounds and distortions to die for if you like mesa voicing, although you can get some nice crunch tones with the vintage settings which I use a lot. I think that with a recto you can play anything from jazz to brutal death! I'm waiting for a fulltone OCD to see how it gets, ODs work really good with rectos. It's built like a tank, and I don't consider it heavy, my old fireball was bigger and heavier. The only thing you should be aware of is its EQ section is totally different from other amps, so you need to learn the response of each pot. I say go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
            Single recto owner here. It's built like a tank, and I don't consider it heavy, my old fireball was bigger and heavier. The only thing you should be aware of is its EQ section is totally different from other amps, so you need to learn the response of each pot. I say go for it!
            Mordor, I'm also pondering a Fireball. Unfortunately, there's nowhere I can play one around here. What are your thoughts on Recto versus Fireball?

Comment

I've been trying to decide which Mesa to get myself.
              I've been looking at Mark IV's, Nomads, and dual Rectos, but maybe a Single Recto will do the trick?
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                Mordor, I'm also pondering a Fireball. Unfortunately, there's nowhere I can play one around here. What are your thoughts on Recto versus Fireball?
                They are two totally different beasts. Think the fireball as a Marshall on nuclear steroids! More high mids than a recto and lots of gain, and I mean too much gain! I used it with the gain pot a nine oclock and it was already enough for classic death metal. Very tight but a bit sterile sounding compared to a recto. And it's really one tricky pony, that's the main reason I sold it. But if your searching for an extreme metal amp and need only one brutal distortion it kick ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Skully View Post
                  How many of you are playing Mesa Boogies, particulalry the Single Rectifier? I'm looking at getting one as a alternetive to the Marshall DSL 50.

Great choice but keep in mind, its a completely different amp than a DSL50. If you like the Marshall tone you will HATE the Single Recto.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Great choice but keep in mind, its a completely different amp than a DSL50. If you like the Marshall tone you will HATE the Single Recto.
                    I actually like the 6L6's better than the EL34's, I was leaning toward the DSL because I couldn't find any decent used 50 watter's and ultimatley why I never pulled the trigger on it because of the 34's. Finally decided to just spend the extra money. I see to that the Recto's have the bias switch so there's always the option to go to the 34's whereas I don't believe you can run 6L6's in the marshall (?) I'm planning a road trip to Detroit this weekend and test drive the Mesa, it's a 2 hour drive so I'll be damned if I don't come home with one!
                    Jackson Dinky DKMGT
                    Jackson Stealth EX
                    Charvel 375
                    Ibanez Daytripper
                    OLP Musicman
                    Carvin C250

Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

[quote=Mordor;1045098]Single recto owner here. I used with a 1960 cab loaded with Celestion 75 and now with a recto standard with V30.quote]

I'm assuming there Celestion vintage 30's? They seem to be THE speaker everybody is running. I've heard so many good things about them.
                      Jackson Dinky DKMGT
                      Jackson Stealth EX
                      Charvel 375
                      Ibanez Daytripper
                      OLP Musicman
                      Carvin C250

Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

I had a Single Rec Rect-o-verb head. It was really a pretty great amp, but I like a few more sounds to play with, and I didn't like they way it took effects. Pretty bomber amps though. I would have liked to have tried one with EL-34's just for fun, but mine was the series 1, so I was stuck with 6L6's.

Comment

Mesa Triaxis+BBE Sonic Maximizer+2:100 Power Amp into 2 Marshall (4) stacked cabinets in stereo= I love it
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            I like Marshall tone a lot, my favorite amp is Mesa Boogie
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the single rectoverb combo is my favorite boogie.

but i prefer my DSL100.
                              Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X