Any speaker wiring gurus around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any speaker wiring gurus around?

I've got a friend who wants to trade me 2 G12T-75s out of his 1960 cab for 2 V30s out of the Mesa cab I'm picking up tomorrow, but from what I can figure out, his speakers are 16ohm and mine are going to be 8 ohm... Is there a way to mix 8ohm and 16ohm speakers in the same cabinet so that it will work properly...?

If you wire each 75 and 30 in series, and then both pairs in parallel, you will get 11 ohms. You can then set your amp for 8 ohms, though you may lose a little power. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I was going to do the same thing until I found out the Mesa uses 8 ohm speakers - kinda bummed me out.

Comment

no unless you mismatch the head and cab
      Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Damn that's a bummer. Oh well, I've got no problem keeping the V30s, maybe in a few months I'll pick up a pair of 8ohm G12T75s... Thanks guys!

Comment

Technically, there is no reason that it won't work. Just calculate the impedance based upon how its wired, and set your amp up accordingly. Or if its solid state, make sure the impedance isn't too low (not likely since you will be putting in speakers of higher impedance). However, it is difficult, if not impossible, to wire up a speaker cabinet with speakers of different impedances such that each speaker gets the same amount of power. There are a couple of things to keep in mind here:

1) You can easily exceed the power handling capacity of either of the speakers inadvertently because you are now putting more of the power through two of the speakers than the other two (assuming a 4x12 cab)
          2) You can also make two of the speakers a lot louder than the other two, for the same reason.

The V30s and G12-T75s have slightly different sensitivities, so you can use this to your advantage. Wire them up so that the speakers with lesser sensitivity get more power. The g12T-75s are less sensitive, and also have higher power handling capabilities. One possible way to do this would be to wire them in series-parallel, with each of the parallel branches containing one of each speaker type. This would give you an impedance of 12 ohms, and the g12T-75s would use twice as much power as the V30s. And unless you are driving this thing with more than 225 watts, you shouldn't blow them

Check out this page and scroll down to series-parallel:

And think v30s on top, g12t-75s on the bottom.

Hope this helps!
          "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Working...
          X