Distortion Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Pedal

I have a Peavey Windsor halfstack, but it doesn't quite have enough gain as I'd like so I've been running a Digitech RP200A for my distorted sounds, but I've never been happy with the tone it produces (too digital). So I've decided to buy a distortion pedal in hopes to get a "useable" tone. I play Metal, like Megadeth, In Flames, Nevermore, Metallica, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage ect. ect. I'm looking at spending about $125, so any suggestions for pedals in that price range would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Originally posted by Rattlehead22 View Post
    I have a Peavey Windsor halfstack, but it doesn't quite have enough gain as I'd like so I've been running a Digitech RP200A for my distorted sounds, but I've never been happy with the tone it produces (too digital). So I've decided to buy a distortion pedal in hopes to get a "useable" tone. I play Metal, like Megadeth, In Flames, Nevermore, Metallica, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage ect. ect. I'm looking at spending about $125, so any suggestions for pedals in that price range would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
    Get yourself a DOD YJM308 preamp and put it in front of your amp. Set the level to unity (even with your amp volume when you turn the pedal on) and dial up the gain until you have the amount you are looking for.
    It works great and it won't color your tone at all.

Comment

John, I have one of those YJM pedals. I also have the SD-1. I have been using the SD-1 with my 2203 and it sounds great. Do you prefer the YJM to the SD-1 overall?
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

i love the SD-1 aswell.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The SD 1 Sounds great in front of everything I have ever put it in front of that needed that extra push...

EDIT:

Doing the bands you have mentioned though you might be better off getting a Boss Metal zone though...

If your head had an effects loop( Windsor does not) then you could run the Distortion pedal in there and it would give it gobs of gain. Also could run an eq in the loop and that would help a lot as well.

I know there are some mods for these so you might want to check into that as well...
          Last edited by Firebird V; 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

SD1 and Metalzone will work. They also can be modded to sound even better with even more gain.

Comment

I like the Big Muff, myself....

Comment

For just a regular distortion pedal run into a clean amp, I'd suggest an AMT Extreme III.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                  John, I have one of those YJM pedals. I also have the SD-1. I have been using the SD-1 with my 2203 and it sounds great. Do you prefer the YJM to the SD-1 overall?
                  People have mentioned the SD-1, the Extreme III, the Metal Zone...
                  all these are fine pedals but they will absolutely positively 100% color your amps tone. If thats what you want.. thats cool.

If you don't want your amps tone to change and you just want another stage of gain the YJM308 is the perfect pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    People have mentioned the SD-1, the Extreme III, the Metal Zone...
                    all these are fine pedals but they will absolutely positively 100% color your amps tone. If thats what you want.. thats cool.

If you don't want your amps tone to change and you just want another stage of gain the YJM308 is the perfect pedal.
                    Thanks, John. I am gonna have to give it a try.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

fulltone gt500

Comment

john,

do you know the difference between the YJM308 and the dunlop GT overdrive?
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          john,

do you know the difference between the YJM308 and the dunlop GT overdrive?

No, I am not familiar with that one. I will say that most overdrives color an amp. Preamps typically don't. I have a DOD 250 and a YJM308. I like the 308 better because it is more transparent in front of my JCM900.
                          Actually, the 308 is so transparent I often wish it had a light on it so I could tell if its on. I can feel when its on because my amp tightens up and I have alot more gain. Its like adding 5 more numbers to your gain knob on your amp!!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                            If your head had an effects loop( Windsor does not) ...
                            The Windsor does have an effects loop.

Comment

The BIG MUFF PI may have the most volume for a distortion pedal.

I have a couple of analogman pedals but they aren't LOUD and they are 200ish
                              OD-9 & SD-9 TRUE BYPASS but I feel like they lose a little bottom but sound good

VOL = BMPi
                              Last edited by j4vice; 01-28-2008, 09:14 AM.
                              JvicE

Comment

Working...
                              X