I fried my Laney...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fried my Laney...

My Laney GH 100 L just quit on me last week, so I took it to my tech..He called me back today and said that the power-supply was screwed so it needed to be replaced..

I actually like my Laney, and I didn't pay that much for it - but if I'm looking at 5-600 bucks in repairs then I'm not really sure what to do..

Any ideas on what replacing a power-supply may cost? Anybody?
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

For a POWER SUPPLY? That sounds more like an out put transformer to me at those costs. What happened when it quit? I'm not saying your tech is trying to gouge you but I never knew power supplys to cost that much.

Comment

Yeah. Power supply is maybe a $150 job max with a good servicing and check on all other parts inside I would think.

Comment

yea ask for some KY before you pay him.

Comment

I don't think he said his tech is charging him that much... he said *if* it comes back costing that much it's a problem. I'm guessing the quote hasn't come back from the tech yet.

Comment

I got the price now, and it'll be 370 usd..And it is the output transformer..

Worth fixing or not? What say ye?

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
              I got the price now, and it'll be 370 usd..And it is the output transformer..

Worth fixing or not? What say ye?
              Thats about right for an output transformer.... As for it being worth fixing, that comes down to how much you like the amp honestly. Do make sure its not something simple like a blown fuse due to a bad power tube. while I like to say you shouldn't have to worry about getting ripped off, you never know anymore.

Comment

How much is the amp worth? How much would it cost to buy a new one?

You could put the $370 down on a new Laney (or used), and sell your blown one on ebay as a fixer-upper.

Comment

Here are the prices from the best company in the business:

Best guitar amplifier power transformers, output transformers and chokes. Far more than tubes, speakers or other amp components, the transformers establish the platform for shaping your amp's sound.

These will make your amp sound way better than before after the burn in period. His price better include labour and overnight shipping charges for the iron.

Comment

I've started considering letting the Laney be, and get a new amp..I've found a used B-52 ST 100 for sale fairly cheap, does anybody have any views on this amp?

Am I better off getting an ENGL or a 6505?

Comment

I dont think the B-52 would be a better amp than the laney, reviews are mixed and they are cheap amps, I think you'd be better of fixing the laney and then getting a 6505 or engl or whatever later...

Comment

B-52? Over Laney? Never. Fix the Laney.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                          Word up.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

You can pick up an output transformer for roughly 50-150 that would be a suitable replacement. The Axiom/Mercury Magnetics are fine aftermarket products. Soldano uses them as do many amp manufacturers. Hammond, Schumacher also make good transformers. You can usually pick up a Mercury Mag off eBay for much less than ordering off their site. I've bought a few for about 100 or less/piece depending on the model.
                            The thing about output transformer changes, is that the amp will likely have a different voice. Whether that improves or is just something you have to work around until you dial it in is dependant to a degree upon the quality of transformer. Typical labor runs about an hour or two bench time for install and then theres tube bias etc, so around three bills total isn't to far off.
                            Last edited by charvelguy; 01-25-2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                              +1

You'll wish you fixed your laney after playing the ST for a little while. B-52's AT amp is tons better than the ST but I still find the GH*L Laney heads much better, for me at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X