OHM setting on 2 x V30's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHM setting on 2 x V30's?

I've just installed two Celestion V30 16ohm speakers into my Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo...what is the correct ohm setting on the amp?
    Cheers
    Sean.

If they are in parallel: 8 ohms
    series: 32 ohms
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

What's parallel? I know that makes me sound thick, but I really don't know. I've wired the two together like so;

positive to positive (red)

negative to negative (black)

I've never had the option with any amp I've owned to run at 32ohm...

Comment

You've wired them in parallel, the cabinet is now an 8 ohm cab. You can set the amp at 8 ohms, or 4 ohms.

You could run a 32 ohm cab with an amp that delivers at 4 ohms, it will just never run at full power, no matter how hard you drive it. But if you have a cab at, say 4 ohms, and the amp only will deliver down to 8 ohms, you are gonna have problems!

Just remember to use a cabinet with an impedance equal to or higher than your amplifier.
        Last edited by Rsmacker; 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Cheers, I'll crank it up before work in the morning...or now...no, in the morning.

Comment

So I set the amp ohm select at 8ohm? I need this spelling out...

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
              So I set the amp ohm select at 8ohm? I need this spelling out...
              Yes
              "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Yep, to match the output to the cab so it is working to it's optimum.

If you added another 8 ohm cab to it, than you would set it at 4 ohms. If you set your amp now at 4 ohms it won't deliver full output to the cabinet even flat out but it won't do it any harm.

Fuck the neighbours, give it a razz!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                  Fuck the neighbours, give it a razz!

I am the neighbours...unfortunately the love of my life is upstairs asleep. If I so much as put on my slippers in an abrupt manner, I get to see a frying pan really close up.

Comment

"Yeah, that's a good effort babe, but you go back to bed now, try again at 7.45 and let's try and get this breakfast thing done right, OK? There's a good gal"

CLAAAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!

(Sound of birds chirping)

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Gotta go...typing too loud...

Comment

Working...
                      X