The Ultimate ~$1.000 bedroom setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate ~$1.000 bedroom setup?

What do you guys think about the following for an ultimate low-volume, small-size bedroom setup for around $1.000?

1. Head: VOX AD100VTH (adjustable power-amp output control 1-100w + one of the only ones in the Valvetronix lineup with effects loop).

2. Cab: 1x12 Rectifier Cabinet

3. Effects: The new Boss GT-10

If the Vox AD50 VT only had an effects loop that could have been a budget option since that one has a 12 inch celestion..

Opinions?

kick in a couple hundred more and get a used mesa mark IV. that was the best bedroom amp i have ever had. i thought it sucked cranked up, but it was AWESOME at low volumes...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Sound's great to me I really do like the valvetronix amps they work well with pedals are simple to tweak, and sound really good...

That and the GT-10 gives you almost unriveled versatillity...

Comment

If I had a grand and needed a cool bedroom setup, I'd be all over a used Vetta I combo and longboard.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
          That and the GT-10 gives you almost unriveled versatillity...
          Exactly! Versatility in tone (that according to what I have read about the Valvetronix should sound tubish) and especially at volume since the AD100-VTH can be adjusted throughout the spectrum 1-100 watts.

I am considering throwing in an Orange PPC 112 cab though instead of the Mesa 1x12 since they are 1/3 the price here in Sweden and they do have a Celestion Vintage 30..

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
            If I had a grand and needed a cool bedroom setup, I'd be all over a used Vetta I combo and longboard.
            Definitely a possibility. Three reasons I choose not to go that road: 1. No tubes. 2. Difficult to upgrade. 3. Combo vs. Cabs tone purity.

Also, there is a practical reason for me living in Sweden as there are practically no used Vettas on this market at all. Those that exist, are way overpriced.

JMHO.

Comment

I like your original idea, but I would change it just a bit. Instead of getting the AD100VTH and 1 cab, get a ToneLab LE, a stereo power amp, and 2 cabs. Then, you will have a nice stereo setup.

Alternatively, instead of getting a power amp and 2 passive speakers, you could just get powered speakers - could be studio monitors, small PA speakers, or even just nice computer speakers (e.g., Klipsch 2.1 setup).

Comment

Skip the Vox... I've heard those have issues with long term durability, particularly if you use the adjustable output control. I second the notion of a used Line 6 Vetta or some nice tube amp with a Boss GT-10.

Comment

My favorite budget option is: Behringer V-Ampire head played in stereo through a pair of nice bookshelf speakers (Mine are B&W 301's). I also run my computer's sound output to the AUX input on the head so I can listen to music or play along with GuitarPro files through the same speakers.

If you need more sophisticated foot controls grab a Behringer FCB1010.

Comment

Line 6 POD 2.0 plus floor board into my stereo. $250. Suits me pretty well. Although I do play at very low volumes so it would be pointless throwing too much cash in that direction.

Comment

Don't know if I'd call the Vox a "tube amp"... No different than the Marshall Valvestate anyway.

If you're worried about the cab on a combo, make a cover for the back - PRESTO - instant closed-back cab.
                      Last edited by chrisolson; 01-27-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

The Vox's to me sound far superior to any of the hybrid valve pre/solid power states.

You could consider a Valveking head(+ antenuator) instead of the vox, im going to get a GT-8 or maybe GT-10...

TBH if your after a Valve type sound chepaer valve head witha the GT-8/10 would be better than a Line 6 for you...

I personally think the valvetronix are good amp's and feel like a valve amp.

I'm going to add the GT-8 most likely GT-8 to my rig as I dont wan't to lug a load of effects pedals and cables around...

And I can program multiple effect's around...

Comment

Like some have mentioned, if it's only ever gonna be a bedroom setup and you don't need it to play out, I'd go with a nice modeler and a power amp and studio monitors, or just powered monitors. Spend the largest portion of the budget on the studio monitors because they will last a LONG time and you won't feel the need to upgrade. Then get your choice of modeler (or modelers :-). My favorite at the moment are the Line 6 PODs. This way you can always add different/newer modeler gear without spending too much. This approach gives you unlimited versatility. Just another way to go.

Karl

Comment

Get a modeler and a couple Tech 21 Powerengines. Killer setup!

Comment

Roland Cube 30
                              Great sound and you will have around $850.00 left to spend.

Comment

Working...
                              X