Guitar Boom Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Boom Box

Hey guys (and girls). I've been thinking about the future of guitar amplification. Here's an idea for us to kick around.

I love the sound of my modelers (Pod XTL and G-DEC) through headphones and/or computer speakers, but I hate wearing headphones, and I can't be dragging my computer speaker setup around (2.1 system with sub & 2 satellites, with cords hanging everywhere), so after searching in vain for a solution, I decided to create one. Here it is - my weekend project - the GuitarBoomBox:

Basically, I just built a box for my 2.1 speaker setup, which is fastened in place inside, but it is really an improvement, IMO, as it adds combo-style portability while retaining the full, 2.1 sub/satellite sound.

With the popularity of modeling, I'm surprised that nothing along these lines has been marketed to guitarists yet (to my knowledge).

There is the Bose system at the very high end, but I don't want to spend $2,500.

A portable PA like a Fender Passport or Yamaha Stage PAS would work well, but kinda seems like overkill, with multiple boxes and cords hanging.

You have the Atomic, for the traditionalist (tubes & 12" speakers), but it is not stereo (as far as I know) and it is overpriced (IMO). The Tech 21 PowerEngine gets a little closer, as it's cheaper, but again, too tradtional (12" speaker) not stereo, and the ones I've tried sounded bad.

You can always plug into the effects returns of an amp, too, but most are not stereo, none have subs, and it seems like a waste to bypass the preamp - if you're not going to use it, why have it?

One or two powered PA speakers is an option, but it tends to be overkill (IMO) and also lacks either stereo (1 speaker) or portability and cost (2 speakers). I actually bought a powered PA speaker for this purpose (JBL Eon G2), but it was overkill - very heavy, and it hissed very loudly when it was turned on - plus, I thought it sounded kind of harsh - and it was $700.

Studio monitors are an option, but again, you have multiple boxes with cords hanging.

Probably the closest I've seen to what I'm talking about is the Gallien-Krueger 250 ML and the Boss CubeStreet. Both are very cool amps IMO, but they are amps, with their own sounds - I am talking about simple, full-range amplification to pair with a modeler. (Plus, they lack subs.)

I'm thinking more like a $200 to $300 self-contained/portable, powered, stereo, full-range system with a sub, aimed at guitarists. I know it can be done, because you can get GREAT sounding Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers for less than $150. Think what you could do with a $300 system! First, increase the power and quality, then how about adding line outs, for connecting to a PA, 1/8" stereo inputs for your modeler and your iPod (for backing tracks, etc.)?

What do you guys think?

that a cool idea, I'm with you I love the sound and flexability of the xt live gong into computer speakers.

Comment

Why do you want that setup to be portable? I keep my computer speakers with my computer =P

Comment

Personally I think that sounds pretty cool. I play through a pod 2.0 in the garage into my stereo and a V amp inside through the computer. I guess this got me thinking about other ways you can use to hear an amplified guitar. I'm not a tone freak and am more than happy with the pod/vamp type thing but i got thinking about if I was ever asked to go and have jam (which is very unlikely) what would i do? I don't have a laptop so there would be issues there with computer speakers and I don't have the cash for an Atomic but all in all I reckon that's not to shabby at all.

Nice work

Comment

So, it basically serves the same function as the little Fender amp on the left?
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That's cool little rig that you built and a great idea. Move on it before somebody else takes the initiative.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

Troy, I want it portable because my kids and wife are often using the computer when I want to play, and I want to be able to pick it up and take it with me around the house, to play at church, take on a trip, etc.

Zeeg, you sound like my wife. "Doesn't the Squier do the same thing as the Jem?" To answer your question: yes - and no.

They do serve the same basic function (amplification), but the G-DEC does it in mono, through one, full-range 8" speaker, while this does it in stereo, through two satellites and a sub. Even the G-DEC outputs in stereo through its headphone jack, so it sounds WAY better this way. I was even thinking of removing the head from the G-DEC and building it into this, but I decided against it.

Comment

That's cool - I probably came off more harsh than intended.

I only practice quietly in one place but if you have to move around that is a good solution

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                  Zeeg, you sound like my wife. "Doesn't the Squier do the same thing as the Jem?" To answer your question: yes - and no.
                  LOL, Playing the devil's advocate. It's a dirty job...
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Should've had it ready for this past NAMM. Would've been killer.

Comment

Google Rockman XP 100.

Comment

Thanks again for your kind comments, everyone. It's fun to kick ideas like this around with people who share your interest.

That Rockman XP looks very cool. I'll add that to the list of things I want.

P.S. Troy and Zeeg, I appreciate the constructive criticism, too. No worries!
                        Last edited by quiksilver; 01-28-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

its a cool Idea, but I'd rather get a Rockman unit, a nice pair of headphones that I could where around my neck instead of ears, and a Steinberger!
                          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Remember when I said I made this partly because my kids and wife are often using the computer when I want to play? Well, as usual, our desktop computer was being used, so I thought I'd head to the basement to jam through my new invention, and guess what I found?

Little stinker is using it as a desk! I can't win.

Guess I need to make another one!

Comment

lol oh man now what! cool project though and great idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X