How hard is the GT-8 really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is the GT-8 really

Really, how hard is it to learn how to use it? Now that the prices on them will come down, the difficulty on getting a good sound from it it´s the only reason I don´t get one. Please comment.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

I havent tried one yet but I plan to get one one of the dude's on here has a good guide he's thrown together with lots of good info, I can't seem them being as bad as some of line 6's stuff to use...

That might jsut be me though...

Comment

Someone here has a how to guide on the GT-8?
      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

Check this thread out for some good info on the GT-8.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78629

Comment

If your familiar with Boss/Roland products, then its like an old friend.
          Takes maybe an hour to be scrolling thru it. Now just seeing the
          GT-8 video's on Youtube, (yes, a good info source) I now find that
          i havent tapped 1/2 of its potential~! I got such a great sound, and
          saved 30 or so user presets, that i stopped and was satisfied with that..
          I didnt even tap into the "Pick Attack" dual settings"... or assigning
          the Tuner to a toe tap! (that im doing today!) Anyway...even the 2 year
          old GT-8 is a Deep mutha! So much can be accomplished with it.
          The GT-10 is supposed to be simpler, and adds a Phrase sampler (38 sec.) But gee...maybe actually digging into the user manual may help
          me huh? :ROTF: Dont worry about the GT-8 ...its easier than Line 6
          to use imo. The Pick attack feature means that you assign your best
          clean chorus sound, and if you play lightly...its there...but if you attack
          and play harder, it switches to your best lead/Bogner tone! Automatically!
          Seamlessly, and instantaniously! I'll find the vid, and edit it here for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCua...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ciww...eature=related
          Last edited by Robert Burns; 01-29-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
            the Tuner to a toe tap! (that im doing today!)
            I love that feature. I've assigned the tuner to any preset when I tap it a second time... it goes right into bypass/passive mode and I just get the clean sound coming out of my amp for tuning. I've only got about 4 of my own user presets and haven't really gotten close to tapping into all the unit can do. Then again, I'm simple and lazy and play straight into my amp most of the time without any effects at all. :ROTF:
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
              If your familiar with Boss/Roland products, then its like an old friend.
              Takes maybe an hour to be scrolling thru it. Now just seeing the
              GT-8 video's on Youtube, (yes, a good info source) I now find that
              i havent tapped 1/2 of its potential~! I got such a great sound, and
              saved 30 or so user presets, that i stopped and was satisfied with that..
              the Tuner to a toe tap! (that im doing today!) Anyway...even the 2 year
              old GT-8 is a Deep mutha! So much can be accomplished with it.
              The GT-10 is supposed to be simpler, and adds a Phrase sampler (38 sec.) But gee...maybe actually digging into the user manual may help
              me huh? :ROTF: Dont worry about the GT-8 ...its easier than Line 6
              to use imo. The Pick attack feature means that you assign your best
              clean chorus sound, and if you play lightly...its there...but if you attack
              and play harder, it switches to your best lead/Bogner tone! Automatically!
              Seamlessly, and instantaniously! I'll find the vid, and edit it here for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CCua...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ciww...eature=related
              Thanks for that info Robert and the vid.

I just started using this unit and am still getting used to it. where do you find the Pick Attack function? I have to try that! is it in Assigns somewhere?

I could not find that one in the manual or the GT-8 Brilliance document....?
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                Thanks for that info Robert and the vid.

I just started using this unit and am still getting used to it. where do you find the Pick Attack function? I have to try that! is it in Assigns somewhere?

I could not find that one in the manual or the GT-8 Brilliance document....?
                I cant find it either! I just know its in there somewhere? BossGT
                forums maybe?

Comment

I found your "pick attack" effect, it's when you select Dynamic setting in the preamp selections somehow. I have to play with it more to understand it exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                    I found your "pick attack" effect, it's when you select Dynamic setting in the preamp selections somehow. I have to play with it more to understand it exactly.
                    It works based on your guitar's volume if I'm not wrong. you lower the volume, you can select one patch, you increase the volume, you select another patch. If you have a high-output pickup and are not picking too hard, your overall volume is relatively lower than if you were picking harder and that can change the preamps.

Its in the preamp selection options. You can choose Mono, Mono A/B, dual or Dynamic. I believe its the dynamic one that does the selection based on volume.

Here is an excerpt from the manual:
                    Dynamic:
                    Channels A and B are switched according to the guitar input volume
                    level. This produces dynamic tonal changes in response to the picking
                    dynamics.
                    * For more detailed information, refer to “Controlling Various
                    Parameters Through the Guitar Volume” (p. 67).
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      It works based on your guitar's volume if I'm not wrong. you lower the volume, you can select one patch, you increase the volume, you select another patch. If you have a high-output pickup and are not picking too hard, your overall volume is relatively lower than if you were picking harder and that can change the preamps.

Its in the preamp selection options. You can choose Mono, Mono A/B, dual or Dynamic. I believe its the dynamic one that does the selection based on volume.

Here is an excerpt from the manual:
                      Dynamic:
                      Channels A and B are switched according to the guitar input volume
                      level. This produces dynamic tonal changes in response to the picking
                      dynamics.
                      * For more detailed information, refer to “Controlling Various
                      Parameters Through the Guitar Volume” (p. 67).
                      Hey thanks for this! Ive never set the preamps on "dynamic"..
                      that may be it then. You have steered me towards the right area, thanks!!

Comment

I have a GT-6 that I like very much. It makes the silver jube very versatile where using it the other way(with a pedal in front) it's almost impossible to get a clean sound to a dirty sound in under 10 minutes. A lot of fiddling needed.

Hmmm, now you guys have me wondering how the GT-8 would sound! Lots of cleans which the 6 doesn't really have a lot of. Not many that I like.

jgcable showed me the ropes on the GT-6, maybe if I get too swamped with it, He'll lend me a hand sorting the new one out.

Comment

I did play with the dynamic preamp switching and it's badass!

Comment

Working...
                          X