No announcement yet.

Solid state power amp recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state power amp recommendations?

I am planning to buy a stereo power amp to use with my modeler and a 2x12" enclosure. I don't need anything fancy. I'd prefer 1 rack space. Probably 100 watts (50 per side) or so. I guess I have 3 questions.

1. Should I get one marketed for guitarists?

Some companies market these for guitar rigs and generally claim they offer some kind of tube sound emulation, e.g., the Rocktron Velocity, TubeWorks MOSValve, Marshall Valvestate, etc. I suspect that is all just marketing hype, but I'd be happy to hear alternate opinions. Also, I don't know if they offer other features that might be useful. None that I can think of, I guess. My modelers already have headphone jacks.

2. Does brand matter?

I know that you generally get what you pay for, but this amp will have a very easy life, as I usually just play in my basement, at low volumes, so I suspect that any brand could stand up to this gentle use, particularly if I get something designed for PA use. If you wanna talk really cheap, MF sells the Nady XR-300 for $89 (though that one is 2 rack spaces). But maybe that's too low end to be reliable? I note that some low power amps have no fan. That would be quieter, which is nice, but I don't know if I need one or not.

3. Used or new?

Generally, I prefer to buy used, to get more bang for my buck, but I don't know if that's smart here, since I don't really need many features, and I suspect any brand would do (though, again, I could be wrong on that).

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carvin DCM150. https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...product=DCM150

I used to own one, and it definitely rocks!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I own a Nady XA900 and a Tube Works MosValve MV962. The Nady sounds ok but at lower levels you have to deal with the noise from the fans in this amp. The fans are a bit noisy from what I can remember as I haven't used it since I got the MosValve. The MosValve is nice and quiet and I believe it produces a warmer tone than the Nady. I know there are a lot of choices out there but my vote would go to the MosValve especially since you don't mind buying used.

Comment

Get something PA-ish. The Carvin DCM150 is a great option or if you want more power something like the Behringer A500. I don't know anything about those $100 ones but for your purposes they are probably OK - one thing to watch will be the types of input and output connectors they use though...

Comment

Used Peavey CS200 stereo...or 50/50 2 space stereo amp. You can pick
          these up for $160 most of the time!

Comment

ill second the mosvalve i had one a few yrs back. sounded great to me.

Comment

ADA B200S - 2 spaces, cheap, geared especially for guitar and very clean power. I used one for the last year and loved it. Still use it as a backup and for playing at home.
              "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Working...
              X