Pedalboard advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedalboard advice

I’m looking into getting a pedalboard to organize some effects/switches, make them easy to move around, and wanted to know what has worked for others. Looking on ebay, the most popular type seems to be the carpet covered boards which Velcro adheres to. Does this work well in keeping the effects on the board – once Velcro is stuck on the pedal/underside? One problem I foresee using Velcro are wah pedals with the rubber feet which keep the base from touching the carpet. Cable ties might work with carpet as well. How else do you guys keep these things secured?

I don’t need anything extravagant. I’m not looking for a “powered” one as I’ll use my own power supply. I want the board to be roomy enough so things aren’t crammed in there and so there'd be a little room to grow in case I wanted to add/move around effects if necessary. I really don’t think I need one of those 2 tier boards, but I want it wide enough for 2 rows of small pedals to fit. And I’m not going to be touring with this thing, but some type of carrying case would be a bonus when moving it about.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

I haven't used the carpeted boards, so I can't speak directly to that, but I'm using a PedalLite board which is metal, so I use velcro to attach the pedals to the board. I'm finding that the velcro doesn't stick well to some pedals (i.e.: Boss), and that they come off the board not infrequently. It's no big deal, I just re-attach them, but the velcro doesn't seem to be the best solution, IMO. I've got a few other pedals cable tied down, and they are fine. I keep my wah and volume pedal off the board for the same reasons you mentioned....can't get them on the board properly. I tried cable ties on the wah, but they didn't work well...I guess cause the wah moves around a more when you work it.

Comment

I have seen a guy making plates to bolt to the bottom of your wah/volume pedals. You remove the rubber feet and screw this velcro covered plate on in their place, and it provides a nice flat surface for attaching to your board. IIRC he makes them suit most popular models.

Having said that, my wah is the one pedal NOT velcroed down. It just sits on the board and the rubber feet seem to do a decent enough job of stopping it wandering about.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I have been using a homemade carpeted pedalboard for years. It has worked out fine, but I'm going to try using just a piece of laminated wooden shelving for my next board, as the carpet doesn't hold up all that well as you (re)move pedals.
        sigpic

Comment

SKB PS-45 is what I have been using for the past few months and previously I had home made boards. This thing is killer and worth the 200. So much flexibility and fabulous clean power. The case is very rugged. The carpeted base gives me room to change the arrangement around. Highly reccomend.

I remove the rubber feet on my wah to have it set flush on the board.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I made this.Its really simple.I yust removed rubber feet from my wah and only screwed srews in and glued welcro with duble sided tape.

Comment

pedaltrain. Great boards, made from aluminum, can route wires easily underneath, can also hide a power supply or wireless under there too. WELL worth the money. They have three different sizes, and each can be purchased with a 'gig bag' or a hardshell case.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                pedaltrain. Great boards, made from aluminum, can route wires easily underneath, can also hide a power supply or wireless under there too. WELL worth the money. They have three different sizes, and each can be purchased with a 'gig bag' or a hardshell case.
                I was actually just checkin these out. They seem well built. I actually have a 1-unit sized wireless which works well. Would this be able to fit underneath? Also, do you need to take off the rubber feet from the wah to make em fit right? I was looking at the medium and large sized ones like this one:

The other type of boards I was considering were simpler ones like this, which has handles, which is nice:

This other type that has a built in case:

Or this kind, where the top and front panels come off the case:

Comments are welcome!
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If you need a case its worth extra money,but if you yust need a board,build it yourself.Its easy to built something like pedaltrain out of wood and It shouldnt cost you more than 30$ and that is with velcro and everything.

Comment

I made my pedalboard out of a 5 dollar ironing board from the goodwill. :ROTF::ROTF:
                    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Here is my home made pedal board. Its made of shelving bought from home depot and then was sprayed with automotive headliner adhesive to hold thin trunk type carpeting in place. I added aluminum trim and handles, again from home depot. The pedals are held in place using either bicycle links or aluminum tabs screwed into the pedal board and an occassional velcro'd small pedal directly to the carpet. Be aware that on some pedals when you remove the rubber feet, such as on a Wah, you may have to get shorter screws to keep them from bottoming out in the pedal. Cost is much cheaper than commercial boards and you can make it any length you want. Oh yeah, you can also attach door stop wedges to the bottom of the board to tilt it up slightly if you want.

I have since dismantled the board and put a few essential pedals in a rack drawer controlled by a GCX switcher and Ground Control Pro
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                      X