Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Fender combo amp for distortion pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Fender combo amp for distortion pedals?

I'm looking to get a Fender combo amp for use with my pedalboard, which has the following (among others):

Keeley DS1
    Visual Sound Route 66 (OD/compressor)

I like to jump right from a sparking clean sound to some heavy drive (not a big crunch fan). I don't want to do a SuperSonic, I'd rather get something like a Vibrolux or maybe a Twin Reverb. Comments?

Twins are sparkleville, and to my ear, pretty much set the standard, Axe.
    I think your instincts are good.
    I also like the Fender 75 (with 12 inch speaker) for good clean and loud (this was an attempt to have a bunch of push/pull functionality and keep up with Boogie back in the day)... the overdrive tones sounded like ass, however.
    I gave mine to my pal Dennis about a year ago, and he'll never part with it.
    Some of the sound that thing kicks out is a result of the EV SRO-12 speaker it had... what a speaker... edge wound voice coil, lifetime guarantee... LOUD.
    I also like LAB Series amps (BB King has used them for years), Roland JC, and Musicman amps. These are solid state but ballsy/crystal clean punch.
    For a non-fender buy it and you'll like it for small dollars, the Peavy Classic tube amps are also very very nice.
    Good luck!
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

What about the vibroverb?

Comment

I guess I'll need to demo them all. I'm a bit skittish about the twin reverb because I understand that it is 100% clean with NO breakup at any volumes. It would seem like that amp might fight with a distortion pedal. Doesn't the vibrolux have a bit of growl and breakup going on, while still providing a clean sound when needed? Oh the compromises.

Comment

Well, here she is. It just so happens a minty Twin popped up on Craigslist for $750, so I snatched it up. So far I'm really digging it. My tubescreamer sounded pretty weak with it, but the Metal Zone gets some nice grit going.

Comment

You're gonna like it I think.
            Congrats!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

WOW dude thats a steep price. Ive seen twins for around $500ish on my craigslist. I think you'll like it though. If you ever get a wild hair up your butt with spare cash try a Dr Z .

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                WOW dude thats a steep price. Ive seen twins for around $500ish on my craigslist. I think you'll like it though. If you ever get a wild hair up your butt with spare cash try a Dr Z .
                I haven't seen any for $500 around here, that's for sure. There are three up on the bay right now with bids over $750.

Comment

Working...
                X