Soldano SLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano SLO

Umm...this thing is kind of cool so far.

The clean channel is surprisingly good - particularly if you set it to crunch and back the gain way down.

The overdrive is pretty good - it's too muddy at reasonable volumes though - almost like a mild fuzz box. You have to crank it WAY TOO FUCKING LOUD to get the good stuff.

It sounded good with the Marshall JCM 900 4x12 w/75 watt Celestions and the Port City 2x12 cab with V30s. The Avatar 4x12 with V30s was not good. The Avatar 4x12 is probably seeing it's last days around here - it really is too boxy sounding and just needs to go away.

Guitar-wise I just used my PRS SC245 and my JEM. Surprisingly chords sounded better with the JEM and single note stuff was better with the SC245 - that's much different results than I'm used to with those two guitars. The single in the JEM actually sounded pretty good but I still need to try a Strat and Tele through it.

I also want to try it with an attenuator and maybe swap some tubes around.

I have a sneaking suspicion this SLO will not last long though. I still think there is a Suhr OD100 Standard+ in my future.

I ran across a Diezel Herbert with a Columbus foot controller for a decent price - hopefully that will be here by this weekend.

I'd also like to try a 5150 III.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

oh, I also want to run my Eclipse through the SLO loop since so many people compain about the loop.

- Newc

Comment

last year I owned a slo with depth mod. I liked the amp and it was really nice but I sold it because it had to be really loud to tame some of the fuzz. It sounded awsome for rock or 80s metal and the voicing was perfect for that stuff. I used a clean boost to and the depth mod to get more modern tones but in the end I sold it because there's other amps I would rather own.
      The slo is one of the nicest built amps and has top quility components.
      The cleans were better than I expected too. Even at certain gig levels it still needed more vol than I was able to give it, its one of he loudest amps I ever played and to really shine the master needs to be at noon. I often thought about getting another but I always change my mind because I don't like how fuzzy lower notes can when the gain is at 2 oclock but than goes back to having to keep the master at noon which is just too loud for my needs and fothe gigs I play.

Comment

I loved the 2 I had. The key is to crank them though. I had a hotplate too. The only amp i wish i still had.. Try putting an overdrive pedal or distortion pedal in front of Channel 1 set to clean too.

Comment

i've found the same thing with any 4x12 with standard vintage 30's. way too boxy. keep the cab and throw some greenbacks in there.

we often forget or just don't know that mesa along with several other companies do not use stock vin 30's but a tweaked version from the vin 30 base. (more highs and lows to round out the boxiness of the standard vin 30)
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The SLO is one amp I have got to try out someday.

Tim, I agree with you about the Avatar. I had a Single Recto going into a Mesa 1x12 widebody cab when I was in a cover band a few years ago and loved it. I sold it after I left the band but missed it after a couple months, so I got another single recto with a Avatar 4x12 vin 30 cab. I did not like the sound as much as before, and thought it was the head (series 1 vs. series 2) because a 4x12 just HAS to sound better than a 1x12 (sarcasm). I ended up selling/trading both but now I realize it must have been the cab.

On a side note, I did prefer the footswitch on the Series 1 (1/4") to the series 2, it changed channels much quicker.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I've had my SLO-100, 5 mod amp now for 3 months. I'll never need another amp. It's just awesome all the way around. I use digital effects in the loop, but that's all.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                i've found the same thing with any 4x12 with standard vintage 30's. way too boxy. keep the cab and throw some greenbacks in there.

we often forget or just don't know that mesa along with several other companies do not use stock vin 30's but a tweaked version from the vin 30 base. (more highs and lows to round out the boxiness of the standard vin 30)
                +1 The Greenbacks are great with this amp. However, with the Depth mod, if you turn it up too high you will vibrate the crap out of the cab. I had a 4 X 12 Marshall 1960 dancing across the floor and blew out the plug in the back.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well, this thing is going to go. Next...

- Newc

Comment

hahahahaha, i hated mine too. i thought it was a mosquito box. what was cool, was that i lost about $100 when i sold it. so it was very easy to move into the next amp with out hurting the wallet.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      How'd the fx work in the loop? More info! BTW, what do you want for it?

Pete

Comment

Tim goes thru amps at about the same pace I went thru women back in the day after a couple weeks....next )
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          Tim drop me a line....
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            How'd the fx work in the loop? More info!
                            I never even bothered to hook up fx. I'm willing to though. What would you like me to test out?

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            BTW, what do you want for it?
                            I am not a Platinum Member so I can't say

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              Tim goes thru amps at about the same pace I went thru women back in the day after a couple weeks....next )
                              Heh, these things aren't even lasting a couple weeks.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X