No announcement yet.

Soldano SLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the Marshall Vintage Modern. I really didn't like it at all - I spent about 30-40 minutes with it.

On the the other hand, I thought the JVM was pretty cool - I didn't get much time with it though.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Regarding all of these amps, I think I could easily get by just fine with a JSX, XXX, Rectifier, SLO, etc. But I know there are more choices out there so I'll just keep trying. Besides, it's fun!

- Newc

Comment

Tim..I did have fun with the JVM too. It certainly needs a noise gate the way I dialed it in. The guys at GC were laughing because I had a pretty long cord and I was around a corner just to shut up the squeal..but what high gain amp don't require a noise gate!

I think I would take the JSX over the JVM..I would have to bring them home and jam with Vinny "Gonzo" Z on drums to see how they'd stack up.

I dial in my amps to him..or at least with any LOUD drummer. Since that is the level you'll need to be in a band. Whatever amp we tweak at low to moderate levels completely change when you crank them to band levels. So, what I do is keep the loud settings alone. I may turn up the presence a bit when practicing..that's about it.

Yes, it is fun. I remember when I bought every cool tube amp that came out in the early 90's. I had a four way pedal made so I could run four half stacks..that's when John started coming over. I was fresh out of the academy..now he's in the academy..weird.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Tim..don't lie. Y'know you can't get by with a Recto..

Man, awesome players do great with them, they are very good amps. I never got along with them..way to "buzzy" for me...and they don't do VH very well..I can't have that!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Tim, I hope you get to play a CarolAnn OD2-100 with the Bad Brains mod soon. HR Marshall tones all the way, incredible clarity, all the gain you need, sweet feedback. Best I've played.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
              Tim, I hope you get to play a CarolAnn OD2-100 with the Bad Brains mod soon. HR Marshall tones all the way, incredible clarity, all the gain you need, sweet feedback. Best I've played.
              hmmm..I never heard about that one. It's that badass huh?

I googled it...read some good reviews on thegearpage..but no website.
              Last edited by horns666; 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Chris Davis in Wappingers Falls, mod'd the guy from Bad Brains Marshalls. Chris did all my amps back when i was gigging & had the marshall at his house when i there once. that amp was a monster, one of the chunkiest & brutal marshalls i think i ever played. im fairly sure Chris is still in Wappingers & if hes not on tour hes very easy to get intouch with. he was Framptons amp guy back in the day & IMHO works magic on tube amps.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Tim..don't lie. Y'know you can't get by with a Recto..

Man, awesome players do great with them, they are very good amps. I never got along with them..way to "buzzy" for me...and they don't do VH very well..I can't have that!
                  I've done gigs with a Rectifier. No problem at all. I have a couple different "go to" pedals I can take to just about any situation and make it work.

I did a open jam this past weekend and plugged into some Fender solid state half stack (FM100?). It was far from ideal but with my pedal board I had no problems getting passable tones - we played everything from Sabbath to Stray Cats to SRV to Pink Floyd. I just had a Strat with me so the Sabbath was not quite as heavy as I would have liked but I compensated for that by making mean faces.

Aside from other guitar players, very few people notice the shit that drives us nuts. In the end all people notice is if you can bring good stuff in your playing.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                    A buddy of mine has one - we've been trying to arrange a meetup for a few weeks now. I really want to check one of these out.

He also has a Trainwreck clone that just crushes.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      Regarding all of these amps, I think I could easily get by just fine with a JSX, XXX, Rectifier, SLO, etc. But I know there are more choices out there so I'll just keep trying. Besides, it's fun!
                      Geez,,,,did you win the lottery or something? A Legacy, an SLO,,,,etc......oh, and a Diezel on the way, too.
                      Last edited by lynchfan6; 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                        Geez,,,,did you win the lottery or something? A Legacy, an SLO,,,,etc......oh, and a Diezel on the way, too.
                        They aren't all going to stay. The idea is to end up with "the one". For instance, the Legacy is long gone and the SLO will be gone soon hopefully.

- Newc

Comment

Post an update on the Diezel. I heard from some that Warren uses one with Ratt lately, but that the sound is kinda weird for those types of tunes. I don't know, I haven't heard him with the Diezel, but I know they are popular amps. I have heard Warren with the SLO, and that was smokin'. Let me know how the Diezel sounds compared to the SLO. It is supposed to be superior for the heavier sounds. I hope you find what you are looking for. It's great to find the "one " amp. I've had my SLO for over two years now, and I'm still as obsessed with it as the day it arrived. Let us know what you settle with. Have fun..........

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            xDeathstarx..very nice toys there..I was just peepin' at 'em.

I owned a few amps in my time, and I'm old. I've owned a Uberschall for approx 6 years now. The only complaint I had at high volume levels was a midrange "honk" I was getting with the stock JJ preamp tubes. With some good advice from The tube store I installed 6 matching Tug Sol. This not only remedied the obnoxios "honk" but it gave me more output, lows, along with noise that required me to adjust the gate on my G Major. I like as much gain possible while retaining definition to execute classic VH...which I do. I go for a very heavy "tone" somewhere in the ballpark of Nevermore/Arch Enemy..

I always wanted to try a Cobra and a Deizel..I've tried just about everything else. Since you owned these amps, what is your opinion of the Uberschall among these high gain boutique amps. Versatilty is NOT important with me..I just go for heaviest tone possible (no stomps)! I've been VERY happy with my Uber, am I missing something not being able to try amps mentioned above?

Oh BTW , welcome..
                            i think i remember talking to you about ubers a few years ago, my old name was zao on this board. i was a huge uber fan and i owned 3 of them and played ubers for over 3 years, the uber was my main gig amp.
                            i just needed a change and i wanted some tones the uber didnt have and i sold them.
                            the cobra and herbert are definately amps worth trying, they are both pretty brutal but they are different than the uber in a few ways. i doubt you care but both amps have better cleans than the uber. both amps have a tighter pick attack than the uber also. the uber has more gain than the cobra and againt the herbert on ch3+ its about the same, the uber is more saturated than the other amps. the herbert is the thickest sounding and and sounds even bigger than the uber if its possible. they cobra is very picky to the way its setup and what cabs you use along with what settings you use and needs bias hotter than it comes from the factory.
                            the cobra is a amp that you either love it or hate it and you really need to spend alot of time with it. the herbert is easy to dial in and sounds awsome pretty quick if you never tried it before. i like the herbert better than the ubers i had and im glad i switched. i play metal and any of the amps ive talked about can play metal and all of these amps have modern voicings, the herbert is the most compressed sounding and hifi of the 3 but also is the nicest sounding for solos and leads. if you ever buy a herbert try and get one used because you will save at least 1000 to 1400.
                            the herbet has the most options for tone with the mid cut knobs and switch, and then its got the +/- switch to change the gain from more modern to less gain and changes the tone of the amp for more rock types of tones. i could spend a hour talking about these amps because theres so many good things to say about them.

Comment

Originally posted by xDEATHSTARx View Post
                              the herbert is the thickest sounding and and sounds even bigger than the uber if its possible.

i like the herbert better than the ubers i had and im glad i switched.
                              Realization is a beautiful thing.

PS: I told you so.

Comment

yes you did, for years you sang the praises of the herbert and i always raved about the uber to the point we got in a few arguements and fights, its funny because i had a older herbert and i really hated it and and i kept it for 2 or 3 months and i never could love that amp, i even tried kt88,6l6, and el34 and non of them or any pre tubes i used could change my mind and i hated it, i dumped it and bought a vh4 that i hated even worse and i gave up on diezels and went back to the ubers.

its kinda funny now because all the bad blood we had and now we are civil. even this 2007 herbert i have now didnt blow me away the first couple days and i spammed it, but i talked to a few diezel guys and just tried switching cabs and started to fall in love with the amp, im so happy i kept it.
                                my fav amp is still my engl se but the herbert will be sitting beside it for a long time. i like my uberkab with the herbert. maybe in the future i will get a front loaded diezel 4x12.

Comment

Working...
                                X