V3 - Gt8 - Gflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3 - Gt8 - Gflex

I finally got my new rig all up and running, and it's sounding really good.

Carvin V3
    G-Flex 2x12
    GT-8 in the loop

I have a ton to learn on the amp settings alone, as they are quite numerous and all very dynamic -- and about the GT-8 and how to combine the best of both, cause this amp sounds killer all by itself and I want that to be my main tone even when adding GT-8 effects and pedal presets.

but this is a whole nother level for me tone-wise, and I can't wait until Sat band rehearsal to really put it through the paces.

the g-flex is so badass.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Originally posted by skorb View Post
    I finally got my new rig all up and running, and it's sounding really good.

Carvin V3
    G-Flex 2x12
    GT-8 in the loop

I have a ton to learn on the amp settings alone, as they are quite numerous and all very dynamic -- and about the GT-8 and how to combine the best of both, cause this amp sounds killer all by itself and I want that to be my main tone even when adding GT-8 effects and pedal presets.

but this is a whole nother level for me tone-wise, and I can't wait until Sat band rehearsal to really put it through the paces.

the g-flex is so badass.
    You can just turn off the Preamps (A & B) in the GT-8 and that
    way your not coloring your tone, and just using the transparent effects.
    Good stuff!

Comment

Sounds sweet dude!

Comment

G-Flex
        Scott

Comment

First off, congrats on the killer rig. I'm pretty much in the same about my V3. Absolutely love its raw tones, no effects required. I have a Zoom G9.2tt that was getting full duty (tube preamps and effects) until I hooked up the V3. Now the Zoom is only being used in the loop for effects - delay, chorus, verb (btw, thanks JG!). It does add some flavor. I will also be using the Zoom for direct or into a SS power amp rack rig. I went ahead and slapped a Bad Monkey pedal into the front of the amp for a little boost/od on the clean channel. Just enough to widen my smile. Running mine into either one or both 2x12 cabs (baltic birch) w/V30 clones in both. Sounds friggin sweet to my ears.

Enjoy & Rock On
          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

thanks guys. just found out I get to try it out at a two-set gig Sat night. so that will be fun.

I spent about 2 hrs so far with the GT-8 and I've pretty much got the basics down, and am assigning the CTL pedal for all it can do, so that's working. the solo boosts in this thing are sick.

and yeah the raw V3 is pretty great. I'm still learning all the loop stuff on the go.

Comment

well we did a two set show last night in Long Beach (Blue Cafe) and my new rig performed killer! so much more bottom end that I was used to and the tube definition and lead tone I'm getting is very inspiring.

I was able to set all my GT-8 patches and effects for the songs we do, and have figured out the 4 cable method. I also set up a great loop setting for the raw V3 channel 2 which I have set for a sick hot-rodded Marshall tone that just destroyed on every tune I used it on.

think I found my setup...

Comment

well we did a two set show last night in Long Beach (Blue Cafe) and my new rig performed killer! so much more bottom end that I was used to and the tube definition and lead tone I'm getting is very inspiring.

I was able to set all my GT-8 patches and effects for the songs we do, and have figured out the 4 cable method. I also set up a great loop setting for the raw V3 channel 2 which I have set for a sick hot-rodded Marshall tone that just destroyed on every tune I used it on.

think I found my setup...
                Man that sounds like a killer setup! Cool to see more people enjoying the V3! I'm running a G-major in the series loop of my V3 (which I just got last thursday) and can't stop smiling! I'm planning on getting a midi foot control to control the G-major and channels on the head. I would have tried the GT-8 like you if I didn't already have the G-Major.

Checkout this head (not mine) faceplate is chrome:

Link to thread for this mod http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.p...ight=faceplate

Comment

those chromed ones do look cool.

I'm considering painting mine gloss enamel black.

Comment

I'm considering painting mine gloss enamel black.

That would look great! Iv'e seen one in flat black and it looked killer.

Comment

Three questions on the Carvin V3:

1. Does it sound good at low volume levels?

2. Could you hook dedicated effects for the clean channel and the high gain channel separately?

3. Does it fizzy or buzzy?

Comment

I've not had mine all that long but I'll try...

1. yes, plenty of lower vol gain, but still sounds best a bit louder like any tube amp

2. from what I understand, yes

3. not so far. I have one gain channel set to a nice modded Marshall midrange with smooth gain, and the other set to more of a Recto scoop hi-gain. there are a number of settings, adjustments and eq switches that really affect tone and gain a lot. it's a very dynamic amp.

Comment

Yes, a kudos for the G-Flex.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
                            Three questions on the Carvin V3:

1. Does it sound good at low volume levels?

2. Could you hook dedicated effects for the clean channel and the high gain channel separately?

3. Does it fizzy or buzzy?
                            1. Yes

2. It has 2 fx loops that can be set to come on with any channel (via built in midi) so you could have one loop for high gain and one loop for clean. The loops are not the same though. One is in series and breaks the chain, the other is parallel and is side by side with your amps sound which can be adjusted via volume knob next to the loop in/outs. The series loop has no volume control. All you need is the channel foot controler for the head but it comes seperatly so a midi foot controler would be bettter (unless they throw it in the deal like they did for me and others)

3. Like Skorb, I have only had the amp for a short time (5 days) but have not noticed any buzzing.

If you don't like it, carvin will take it back. You have a 10 day trial period. GET IT!!! lol it's really a great head and is very versatile the 3 channels can have 1, 2, or both loops on and they can be set independantly for each channel.
                            Last edited by z1n; 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X