My amp blew up again, what should I replace it with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My amp blew up again, what should I replace it with

I've got a RG50TC and the stock tubes decided to destroy themselves a couple of weeks ago and now the new tubes I had installed decided to die today. First time around it just started making nasty crackles, second time around it was making microphonic vibrations (tubes were rattling or vibrating and it was going through the amp). It wasn't horrible but today I went to fire it up and the amp turned on but no sound and the tubes were dead. I guess it didn't blow up but the thing is kind of dead at the moment. This is two break downs in a month and everything was done by a professional, all nice and biased so I think I'm just going to replace it.

Is there anything good in this price range? I've been shopping for an amp since the summer so I'm kind of getting impatient
    Last edited by FastJunkie; 02-01-2008, 12:03 PM.

what is the price range?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

probably in the same price range as the randall, 500-750 msrp or whatever. I get stuff for cost +5% so it's hard to get a price range since some amps have higher mark ups than others

Comment

hmmm, so you are looking for a new amp. i was gonna recommend something used, like a rivera or an old mesa mark III combo....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'd go for a head not a combo. Bad things happen when you have speakers rattling the tubes and electronics. A separate head protects the guts.

Comment

Check your speaker cables!!!!!!!

I take it the second set of valves were second-hand, new sets of valves rarely, if ever, go microphonic like that.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
            X