Which 4x12 cab and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 4x12 cab and why?

If you had the choice to have only one 4x12 which would it be and why? This could be something you already own, or wish you owned. I'm currently looking for a 4x12 and have narrowed it down to a Mesa rectifier cab w/ v30's or a Marshall 1960bv, also with v30's. I have been reading a lot of negative about the newer Marshall build and material quality, but it's still a front runner in my selection. I had also considered a Genz-Benz G flex 2x12, but I busted my butt to clean the basement so I want a 4x12 to fill the new empty space...LOL.

hard to go wrong with the mesa v30 loaded cab, as long as you don't have to move it that often. They are heavy as hell. But, they sound great. Marshall 1960s sound damn nice too, but are not in the same league in terms of build quality.

Comment

1960 BV. And I'd like to meet the mother f'er who thinks he's gonna take all but one of my 4x12's away.

Comment

MAdison 412 X pattern with V30's and 75's
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

The ported Genz Benz is pretty tough to beat for bass response. But yeah, it doesn't have the classic look of a 4x12.

The absolute hardest cabinet I ever heard was a Rivera 3x12. I can't remember the name of it now, but it was something like "the LowBottomy." It looked just like a slant 4x12, but it was really a 2x12 plus a third 12" speaker on the bottom that was run from a second bi-amp input. It would absolutely pound the wind out of your lungs. Only downside, of course, is it's bi-amped. There was a specific Rivera model, the Knucklehead, that was designed to work with it and had a built-in second amp and crossover. But I guess you could rig anything to work with it.

That flash-in-the-pan aside, I really dig Carvin cabs. My first stack was a Carvin X-100B with matching cabs. Then I went to Marshall 1960's. Wow, I didn't realize what I had. Marshall's build quality is shit. Plastic handles and corners, badly applied vinyl covering, etc. I went back to Carvin cabs, just the plain ones with Carvin speakers, even though I went to a Soldano Decatone head. Buddies bring around their gear occasionally, and I've seen some good stuff. Mesa, Soldano and Bogner cabs stick out in memory, but... eek, the prices!

Check out Carvin. They've got a bunch of aesthetic options now — different grill types, black or chrome corners, and colored vinyl was introduced recently. Celestion V30's or G12T's, or just the Carvin speakers which are pretty good. This year I plan to do some amp modding, and I'm thinking some Ear Candy Green Machine speaker cones might be a nice upgrade.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Consider Engel and Orange too,great cabs

Comment

This is a bad ass...although overpriced a bit. VHT Fat Bottom with
              Pitbull speakers inside. Deliverance? Not sure, but it sounds perfect!
              You may luck out and find one locally used for around $750.00 but
              almost impossible to find, where your not paying $300 for shipping!
              I paid $1035.00 locally new. GC

Comment

Get 2 Genz-Benz G flex 2x12s. I love mine so much I got rid of my 4X12 cabs. The best thing to do is let your ears decide.

Comment

uberkab, ive owned a bunch of other cabs and my fav is the bogners ,they sound awsome and are well built, the uberkab matches up good with my amps and has a nice balance.

Comment

Port City Audio .. Why ? Because thats what I want. Id load it with 2 v30s and 2 greenbacks or G12s

Comment

i'd probably get an avatar vintage (old marshall style) 4x12 with greenbacks.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by xDEATHSTARx View Post
                        uberkab, ive owned a bunch of other cabs and my fav is the bogners ,they sound awsome and are well built, the uberkab matches up good with my amps and has a nice balance.
                        I have had recto cabs also but, the Uberkab just has some serious bottom end to it.

-Nate
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Mesa recto traditional 4x12 with V30. Solid construction and high quality overall. Tight sound and killer look.

Comment

I'm sure my exposure to different cabs is less than most here. I don't see giving up my '87 Carvin High Energy top 4x12. It's well built and has great low end kick. I chose the HE's because the G12M-70 in my X-60 just wasn't quite right. It was a gamble since it might have just been the combo's open back. Then a friend got the Celestion loaded 4x12 and I did like mine better. The HE's push the low end more without being muddy and aren't as brittle sounding to me.

Comment

+1

+1 on the VHT FB cab. Simply love mine. Got it off CL for $300 with 2 blown speakers, which I replaced for $150.

Comment

Working...
                              X