Amp review, JVM 410H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp review, JVM 410H

So, I picked up my JVM 410H on Saturday, and gigged with it that night (I know, not a good idea, but I had played it enough to be comfortable with the settings). The sounds are really exactly what I wanted, and I really think this amp does cover several decades of Marshall sound, and it is loud, tight, and powerful through my Avatar 2x12. All my favorite 80's metal bands play Marshalls, so it was a no-brainer for me!

For anyone else who may be on the fence about this amp, I also wanted to mention the pots. I was worried because a lot of people seem to be concerned that the pots feel "flimsy"....I have not found this to be the case...they seem pretty stable to me, and once I set them to my tone settings, I don't see myself fiddling with them much. Further, Jim Marshall says that the idea was to make it so if you shear off a pot, its only a pot you have to replace, and not damage to the chasis or something. I've also heard about footswitch problems, but it feels quite sturdy to me. All in all, I'm very pleased!

Nice!! I think I will be picking up one myself in the next week or so.

Comment

The JVM is the best Marshal I've heard in years. The gain structure is very good and enough of it to handle classic to modern metal tones. It does require a noise gate ..like at high gain amp at high levels.

So, would ya say these amps are a ginormous improvement from the TSL/DSL..there's no comparison IMO! I'd probaly own one of these. If I didn't have my beloved Marshall rig and Uber already.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, I don't have a ton of experience with the TSL/DSL....but I'm pretty sure that the JVM has WAY more gain on tap, and is just so versatile. The ability to dial in classic Marshall tones and to tweak them so well is a huge improvement.
        What's your current Marshall, Horns?

Comment

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
          Well, I don't have a ton of experience with the TSL/DSL....but I'm pretty sure that the JVM has WAY more gain on tap, and is just so versatile. The ability to dial in classic Marshall tones and to tweak them so well is a huge improvement.
          What's your current Marshall, Horns?
          Yes, much more gain and girth..even more important it has a much tighter and smoother gain than the TSL/DSL. I owned a DSL..worst Marshall I ever owned.

I still loved my Marshall rack I bought in '96. It is an early 9200 monoblock that came w/ 5881s (6L6) , a JMP-1, and JFX-1 , I also use a BBE 422 and run that in stereo into four Marshall 1960B cabs. It sounds like a better version of the two 2210s I was using before I bought this. The tones I get is anywhere from classic VH, to Criss Oliva Savatage, Classic Soilwork to Death and Eidolon ect. I play a style in the ballpark between Nevermore and Arch Enemy and it does that quite well for me. It doesn't have anywhere near the girth my Uberschall has, but what Marshall does. The JVM has even more usable gain that my rig does. The Marshall and Uber sound great together..I would truly consider a JVM if I didn't own both. I was impressed with the JVM's "heavy" channel..I don't play clean. tones.

BTW, I'm a stickler about not using stomps for the gain I require. I demand it to be ALL amp, but that's just me.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW, I'm a stickler about not using stomps for the gain I require. I demand it to be ALL amp, but that's just me.[/quote]

I agree....that's what I like about the JVM....I can ditch the stompboxes.

Comment

A good stomp will get ya by with about any amp, they're good like that. Alot of dudes use 'em to tighten up their amps. But you can't beat that natural rawness and definition with a great tube amp IMO. The JVM has all the gain you'll need...and it has that comfortable, unmistakable "Marshall" feel and tone I really like. It's the chunkiest Marshall to date, and good for modern metal tones on it's own. But noise gate is required with gain up to coolness levels. I get by without a gate because my preamp has less gain ..somewhat compariable to a Valvestate 8200 and a tad hotter JCM 800 2210

Comment

Yeah...I may try out my Tubescreamer or Big Muff just for fun, but I really don't think I need them, and they are just another thing to malfunction!
                I'm going to stick my Boss NS-2 in there somewhere to take down some of the noise....would you recommend putting it into the effects loop, or in the front of the amp?

Comment

Id say loop if it doesnt suck tone/feel, great sounding amp but plenny buzzy at the same time!

Comment

Jvm

Congrats! I still LOVE mine. Everytime we do a show people come up to me and rave about the tone I'm getting. It just make me smile. LOL Lately I have been using a POD X3 live to switch the channels and also using the effects thru the loop which sounds killer.

I can honestly say this is the best sounding head I have ever owned.

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
                    So, I picked up my JVM 410H on Saturday, and gigged with it that night (I know, not a good idea, but I had played it enough to be comfortable with the settings). The sounds are really exactly what I wanted, and I really think this amp does cover several decades of Marshall sound, and it is loud, tight, and powerful through my Avatar 2x12. All my favorite 80's metal bands play Marshalls, so it was a no-brainer for me!

For anyone else who may be on the fence about this amp, I also wanted to mention the pots. I was worried because a lot of people seem to be concerned that the pots feel "flimsy"....I have not found this to be the case...they seem pretty stable to me, and once I set them to my tone settings, I don't see myself fiddling with them much. Further, Jim Marshall says that the idea was to make it so if you shear off a pot, its only a pot you have to replace, and not damage to the chasis or something. I've also heard about footswitch problems, but it feels quite sturdy to me. All in all, I'm very pleased!

Comment

Originally posted by Fretburner View Post
                      Congrats! I still LOVE mine. Everytime we do a show people come up to me and rave about the tone I'm getting. It just make me smile. LOL Lately I have been using a POD X3 live to switch the channels and also using the effects thru the loop which sounds killer.

I can honestly say this is the best sounding head I have ever owned.
                      Yeah....it's pretty remarkable; when I played it at a gig for the first time last Saturday, people were coming up to me and telling me how much of a noticable difference there was between the JVM and my old amp. I really just love this thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X