Master volume vs. channel volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master volume vs. channel volume?

So, here's a question....is it preferable to have my amp's channel volume high and my master volume low, or vice versa? What's the advantage to either?

Thanks!

think about it like this:

channel volume = preamp vol.
    master volume = poweramp vol.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The way I understand it (and I may be completely off here) is that the channel volume is before the power amp and the master volume is the power amp. So for optimal power tube driving, I'd think that you'd want master up and channel down.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        The way I understand it (and I may be completely off here) is that the channel volume is before the power amp and the master volume is the power amp. So for optimal power tube driving, I'd think that you'd want master up and channel down.
        That makes sense....thanks!

Comment

but if you have the channel volume down, then you are not pushing the preamp tubes. and in many amps most of the distortion is coming from driving the preamp tubes hard. isnt that why we use an OD pedal in front? ...to push the preamp tubes harder than the amp itself can?

I would say, you gotta have your channel vol all the way up AND the master volume up considerably. this would go hand in hand with the concept that tube amps sound best cranked up.
          Sam

Comment

What are you going for volume clean = master up channel down . For overdrive at any volume = channel up master at what is called for.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              but if you have the channel volume down, then you are not pushing the preamp tubes. and in many amps most of the distortion is coming from driving the preamp tubes hard. isnt that why we use an OD pedal in front? ...to push the preamp tubes harder than the amp itself can?

I would say, you gotta have your channel vol all the way up AND the master volume up considerably. this would go hand in hand with the concept that tube amps sound best cranked up.
              But wouldn't the gain knob control how much the preamp tubes are pushed?

I'll try each one when I get home tonight and report on my findings.
              Scott

Comment

Hmm...I'm interested to see what your "findings" are....I'm looking for maximum gain/saturation, but at gig volumes (as opposed to in the desert or something when I can play the amp to full volume!), which means the master volume can't be maxed...I've seen different opinions on this on other boards, so I'm glad to see the discussion here!

Comment

But wouldn't the gain knob control how much the preamp tubes are pushed?

I'll try each one when I get home tonight and report on my findings.
                  yes you are right. gain pushes the preamp tubes and adding a OD pedal in front pushes them even further. but the preamp volume decides how much of that signal reaches the power amp. If you reduce that, then the power tubes dont have much to amplify. Its like adding a volume box that they sell on eBay in the fx loop.

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
                  Hmm...I'm interested to see what your "findings" are....I'm looking for maximum gain/saturation, but at gig volumes (as opposed to in the desert or something when I can play the amp to full volume!), which means the master volume can't be maxed...I've seen different opinions on this on other boards, so I'm glad to see the discussion here!
                  you can use an attenuator which can be used to reduce the amount of volume that reaches the speakers. so, you can increase the master all the way up and still play a lower volumes. but they suck a lot of tone so you've gotta get the good ones like a THD hotplate or a weber Mass attenuators.
                  Sam

Comment

Hotplates are very helpful here.
                    I run my JSX with the Master at minimum set to 5
                    channel volumes anywhere over 4 and then cut it back with the hotplate.
                    Running the Master at full and the channel volumes down ususally gives you a spongier looser "power amp" distortion
                    and running the channel volume dimed will give you tighter "preamp" gain.
                    I always try to find a middle ground.
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I just play really fuckin' loud! TURN IT ALL UP!!

Comment

I found my JSX sounds better with the channel volumes low and master higher.
                        www.godwentpunk.com
                        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                          I found my JSX sounds better with the channel volumes low and master higher.
                          Same here, I keep the master at least at 5 all the time and adjust the channel volumes from there.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Okay, here's what I found.

Channel maxed, master low -> much more buzz-type preamp tube distortion, but also a tighter, more cutting sound

Channel low, master maxed -> much smoother distortion, but a little loose...still a tight response, but the sound was just more spongy.

FYI: this was done on my El Diablo, Hot channel + high gain on 60W Pentode mode. I didn't change any EQ or gain settings, just the two volumes.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
                              Just get a higher gained amp! Don't compensate preamp volume for gain if your playing metal! But cooking those tubes for something bluesy or rock works great! Then again this is just my opinion! I like my metal tone clean!!
                              I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                              X