Mesa Boogie Owners help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Owners help me out

I've got serious gas for a Mesa but I can't decide which one to go for.
    I've narrowed it down to 3
    Single Rectoverb
    Dual TremoVerb
    Mark IV
    any experts here able to give me plus/minus of each of these and which
    oen would be the most versatile but still get me a good Dream theater /Nevermore type of sound?
    I know the Mark IV is the most versatile but does it have the "crunch" and "chug" factor of the Rectos?
    Last edited by kmanick; 02-09-2008, 01:47 PM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Have you checked this out on Mesa's website?

Listen to the Constant Motion part - is that enough chug for you?

Comment

seeing Petrucci with G3 this past fall is what started the Mesa gas.
      Damn the clean on that Lonestar is beautiful

Comment

I don't know if you want an amp to play out with or mainly for just home use but one thing that is really nice about the Mark IV's is the simul-class power amp. When you have it running in class A Triode it runs at about 30 watts I think, which means you can get the power amp up there a bit (tightens up) at reasonable volume levels (ok not quite bedroom), where as the smallest rectos are 50watts Class A/B. If you are playing a recto a lower volume levels it is going to sound fizzier than the Mark IV running in Class A.

On the other hand, if you are in a situation where you can/will be cranking a 50 watt amp then the simul-class is not such an advantage.

Yeah, the cleans on the Lonestar are awesome.
        Last edited by cookiemonster2; 02-09-2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

It's going to be mostly for home use (some studio recording at some point)
          My gigging days are behind me. I've heard the Mark IV is a great sounding "low volume" amp.
          I've gotta a feeling the Mark IV is going to be the one.

Comment

I'm just a hobby player, but after 15 years of playing I wanted to treat myself to a "real amp". When I started looking a year ago I didn't even know what a Mark IV was. I looked at quite a few amps and originally had my heart set on a Road King. But I tried one out and just realized it was too much power for my purposes. Then I was able to arrange to try a Mark IV. Honestly the Mark IV is still too much amp for my purposes but it fits the bill better than any of the current Marshalls or Mesas mainly because of that simul-class feature.

The newer Lonestars have a 10 watt Class A setting available. If they put that feature on the Road Kings or Stilettos I'd be buying another Mesa or two I think. Actually even the Lonestar in the "thicker" drive setting probably sounds pretty awesome and you would get the cleans.
            Last edited by cookiemonster2; 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

ive owned single,dual and triple rectfiers and i like my roadtser better than any of them, the gain is clearer sounding and less buzzy, the cleans were improved, and the bass is better balanced and has a tigher and more focused feel, its still a rectifier but i think its a improvement.

Comment

Nick, why Mark IV?

there are other Mark amps available... used ones have a pretty good price

IV is absolutely great but why not looking for something better (that's how I feel anyhow)

Mark III's go with very good price.... the tone is much warmer, smoother and still have all the ripping in your face power... also the clean and vintage tones are a lot better

I've played countless hours with all the different Mark series amps and although IV has 4 channels and all the cool functions I find it to be the the most sterile sounding.

To answer your question... no, the Mark doesn't go into Recto territory... some (like my MK III Coliseum 300 wich is the scariest SOB on the planet) have that agressivness but the voicing is different.
                That being said, you can have very good hi-gain tones with Mark amps. But it's different from the Rectos. It's kinda warmer and tighter... the low end is much more clearer. Mark amps also have better cutting thru sound.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Of the ones listed I go with the Mark IV. Also the DC5 is kickass, they come in a combo and head version, 2 chs each has their own controls, reverb, 50w 6L6, EQ nice cleans and can be picked up pretty cheap on eBay. The DC-5 has to be the most under-rated Mesa/Boogie amp out there and is very versitle from country to metal and everything in between
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

this guys clips have really gotten me intersted in the Mark IV

he emailed me with his settings (both of these were at very low volume settings
                    which is appealing to me)
                    the sound he's getting on these is (to me ) just amazing.

Comment

I Just got the rectoverb and it has some great tones in it. I would get the rectoverb over the single just on looks alone. I dont like the looks of the the diamond plate at all anymore...

Check these clips out.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Scroll to the right and there are 7 clips there.

Here is my favorite.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I compared my rectoverb to a DC-5 both going to the same cab (recto standard) and I liked the rectoverb better.

This guy uses a rectoverb. I have no idea if he is using other effects with it.
                      Last edited by Firebird V; 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

'Which one is best' is sooo subjective...it obviously depends on what sound you are looking for.

I own the Mark III and IV and they suit me perfectly. PLENTY of CRUNCH and pretty good clean channels too.

IMO, the rectos are more of a one trick pony...much less versatile.
                        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I'm using my Lonestar exclusively these days. It's got plenty of gain on channel two and works especially well with my G-major in the loop. That being said, you really need to look into the new 5:50 express. That's most likely my next amp.

Of your choices I'd go with the Mark IV. I had a 2 channel dual rec and it was without a doubt the loudest amp I've ever messed with. I'm talking rattle your whole house SPL's on 3. I pulled two tubes and ran it on "Spongy" which theoretically knocked it down to about 35w and it would till rattle the whole house. It also didn't have the sort of versatility I need.

Comment

The roadster also has 4 channels also with seperate eq and a bunch of switches and is great for cleans to all out gain... Country/ Jazz to Blues Rock to Hard rock MetaL. If you need a channel for everything then this might do it too as well as the Mark IV.

The DC5 had some really great tones but I was able to dial in the rectoverb better for what I needed it for. The used price was right for me too. I did not need the Dual Rectifier. I have had a few of them in the past and I was really into the solid state rectifier so that narrowd my choices down.

The eq on the DC 5 covered alot of ground as well. All the ones suggested are great amps though and if I need to cover everything in one little box then the combo Mark IV or DC5 might have gone home with me but I was able to dial the Rectoverb in much easier.

For me less is more. I amp really not intersted in dialing in knobs and then having to dial in a seperate eq to get a usable tone. If I cant dial it in with just a few knobs then it is not the amp for me.
                            Last edited by Firebird V; 02-09-2008, 07:52 PM.

Comment

you know what Petrucci uses, two Mark IVs and a Lonestar for the best cleans, but the cleans on the IV alone are great. my bandmate has one in white tolex, it rips.
                              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                              X