Amp Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Reviews

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM.

Ok.

Comment

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I actually do play metal through a Fender head. It's a grey fuzz-covered M-80. Gets a good 80's metal sound as well as a great crunchy death metal sound when in a lower tuning. Loud as hell through my Legend cab too - I've never played it past 5.

Comment

I've always said amp reviews are really pretty usless. You have to know what you like to hear so use YOUR ears and decide what YOU like. Tone is personal and subjective...what you like I may think is crap...what I like you may thinh is crap so I really never got the point. reviews are cool for describing the features and such but thats about it.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

BTW, if you think Avatar cabs are the bomb I have one for sale. It doesn't hold a candle to my JCM 900 cab.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              I've always said amp reviews are really pretty usless. You have to know what you like to hear so use YOUR ears and decide what YOU like. Tone is personal and subjective...what you like I may think is crap...what I like you may thinh is crap so I really never got the point. reviews are cool for describing the features and such but thats about it.
              I agree to a certain extent. But reviews from folks that have gear that you can base a comparison off can be helpful - particularly when folks have stuff on hand to do A/B comparisons.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Homeless View Post
                I actually do play metal through a Fender head. It's a grey fuzz-covered M-80. Gets a good 80's metal sound as well as a great crunchy death metal sound when in a lower tuning. Loud as hell through my Legend cab too - I've never played it past 5.
                I had one of those a Long time ago when they came out in the early 90's - late 80's. I think it was like 1989. It rocked pretty good for metal. I only got rid of it a few years ago in trade because someone wanted it. for a transistor head that was fairly cheap back in the day it was a great bang for the buck. The clean was very nice too.

Regarding the Marshall cabs i think that some of the reviews that are written are from people that are also using the Marshal MG series 4 x 12 or Valvestate cabs... If they compared an Avatar to a real JCM cab they would probably think different.

Comment

I used to play in a band years ago but had to play bass because the area was flooded with guitarist. I bought a big bad ass 2X15" bass rig and an ernie ball sting ray and I was in like flint. The guitar player in this band had no music theory but he ran a Japanese Fender strat, with a single humbucker, a Floyd and a Boss Heavy metal pedal through a bad ass Marshall head that just sounded (((HUGE))) Through the 4X12 slant cab. Maybe Marshall was made better back then.
                  Last edited by phill_up; 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                    I agree to a certain extent. But reviews from folks that have gear that you can base a comparison off can be helpful - particularly when folks have stuff on hand to do A/B comparisons.
                    Well I think if you know and respect the opinions of the reviewer and their taste in tone/gear then certainally there is more merit in their review vs some joe blow who wants to justify the purchase of whatever gear they spent their coin on:ROTF:
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Here's a guy on ebay that sells some nice cabs. He'll also take offers for 20% lower than his listed price.

I bought one of the 1x15" bass cabs not too long ago, and I'm pretty impressed.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Here's a guy on ebay that sells some nice cabs. He'll also take offers for 20% lower than his listed price.

I bought one of the 1x15" bass cabs not too long ago, and I'm pretty impressed.
                          but your impressed by your cat jerkin' it.

actually that pic was pretty impressive... lol

Comment

True. He's learned by watching the best!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

when I review an amp I do my best to describe the sound qualities of it rather of a "Its better than the other amp" or "The other amp does this but this one does this". I kind of touched on that in my review I did on UG, but I don't think it came out too bad:

Crate Vintage Club Amp model VC6112, 60 watts all tubes, two independent channels with controls for gain, bright, treble, mid, mid boost, bass, bass boost switch, master volumn, reverb, and presence for each channel, power light and standby switch, One crate vintage 12" speaker.

But cabs are very hard to review, as they can only be properly reviewed with A/B'd as mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X