No announcement yet.

Amp Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phill_up -- are you just randomly posting or are you actually reading anything else that's posted in this thread???

Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
      phill_up -- are you just randomly posting or are you actually reading anything else that's posted in this thread???

Just wondering.

Comment

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Here's my thoughts, take them as you will, and your mileage may vary.

I have a Mesa rig with Vin 30's and some Crate Blue Voodoo cabs with Vin 30s. Great speakers for most applications (I'm a metal head!). My Mesa rig sounds much better through my Rectifier cabs.

I also have a Marshall rig(TSL100 and 1960 cabs with G12T-75's). The Marshall head sounds much better through the 1960 cabs (these are older JCM 800 models).

I've had Avatar cabs with Vin 30s. Great cabs, a bit smaller than many, but really affordable cabs. The standard cabs aren't much too look at but sound fine. Lighter than many cabs probably because of their size.

Summary: from cab to cab, they are all different. especially depending on the speakers. and will sound better with specific amps. you'll have to try as many as you can to find the setup you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Homeless View Post
              I actually do play metal through a Fender head. It's a grey fuzz-covered M-80. Gets a good 80's metal sound as well as a great crunchy death metal sound when in a lower tuning. Loud as hell through my Legend cab too - I've never played it past 5.
              5 is the new 11... so I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by ezbprimerib View Post
                Summary: from cab to cab, they are all different. especially depending on the speakers. and will sound better with specific amps. you'll have to try as many as you can to find the setup you like.
                You also have to take into consideration that Celestion tweaks the V-30s in Mesa cabs to sound a little different, too.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The cab I am looking at right now is the 1960B with the G12T-75's. There are some people that wont use anything other than V30's. I am not familiar with some of the older Mesa stuff, can it be bought at a decent price?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                    Yeah... I'm reading and watching all the videos from the mesa boogie, clicking links and reading CharvelRockers reviews. So far I have found a 1960B i can get for $450 out the Door, or a beat up 1960A with 2 blown speakers for $275 both locally. I wonder if mark morton and john petrucci could sound just as good on a marshall though.
                    Morton & Petrucci will sound like themselves through ANY gear. Have you ever heard the term "tone is in the fingers"? I could plug into Petrucci's rig -- I won't sound any more like him through his gear than I would through my own.

You going to eat all that popcorn?
                    No. The steak and au gratin potatoes I had for supper filled me up. And what was with the stupid PM? What a waste of bandwidth.

The cab I am looking at right now is the 1960B with the G12T-75's. There are some people that wont use anything other than V30's. I am not familiar with some of the older Mesa stuff, can it be bought at a decent price?
                    What's "decent" to you? At the end of the day, it's YOUR gear. It needs to sound good to YOU. What sounds great to CharvelRocker may turn someone else off totally. Some people love Marshall gear, and some love Mesa. I likewise, the hate goes both ways. Find what YOU like. Try stuff out. Forget about reviews. It's all subjective anyway.
                    Last edited by chrisolson; 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I have never played through an avatar cab though but I get the feeling they are not in the same ball park as far as quality and sound?
                      I've had two - a bass and guitar cab. They were both top notch in terms of quality, construction, and sound. Don't discount them due to the name. The cab build is better than Marshall, and they use the same speakers. They're just not Marshalls in the "image" arena. There's something about the way a Marshall looks - they sound good just sitting there.

Comment

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Quote quote quote.... Jeeze
                          Last edited by phill_up; 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Last edited by phill_up; 07-12-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              BTW, if you think Avatar cabs are the bomb I have one for sale. It doesn't hold a candle to my JCM 900 cab.
                              Uhm... just because I read a cabinet review does not mean that is what I believe to be true. I don't believe everything I read.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                                I've had two - a bass and guitar cab. They were both top notch in terms of quality, construction, and sound. Don't discount them due to the name. The cab build is better than Marshall, and they use the same speakers. They're just not Marshalls in the "image" arena. There's something about the way a Marshall looks - they sound good just sitting there.
                                ^^^And just WHAT was so offensive about this??

Hey Pal... Usually if you have something negative to say you should keep it out of everyone else's way, but instead you seem to want to be the forum moderator. You can take your 2 cents to the yahoo! fight room as I could care less what you think... Cheers
                                I'm not sure I know what you're talking about here... Nothing I said was negative. Wow.
                                Last edited by chrisolson; 02-16-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X